Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
Had words with the farmer that sprayed my fontinac grapes last year. Very angry words when he tried to deny his herbacide caused damage to the vines. I also pointed out that spraying in a high wind caused the stuff to blow into my brothers shop where I was working.

He said the sruff was not supposed to hurt people. I pointed out that neither was agent orange supposed to hurt anyone, and if that was the case why did their spray machine have air conditioning and the cab pressurized. Also suggested he sniff the stuff to be sure it was ot harmful.

The truth of the matter I was tempted to punch out his lights, but having worked in a jail for 10 years I wasn't very eager to become a resident. Food is terrible, and some of the people I worked with were ***-holes.

Anyway after threatening his spray certificate We settled for $500.00 which I think was probably low for 28 vines and 4 years of work.

Boyd, good for you for confronting him. What would have happened to him if you contacted the right authority (health or agriculture) and they nailed him for spraying during wind conditions. Maybe this year you should take video's just in case. There's a bunch of laws and is he certified?

I have taken the vines out but I still work at the shop and do not wish to get a shot of herbicide.

I did talk to the agricutural people and they were not very helpful. In fact one person told me the stuff was not harmful to people. She was not reseptive to my suggestion she take a large snort of the stuff to prove her words.

Anyway I'll be watching closely and if it happens again I'll do my best to get their certificate to spray and also notify their insurance company of the problem. And I now know enough to make notes on the date, time and weather conditions.

another neighbor is not happy with then and will be watching also.

Latest posts

Back