Vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience converting wine into vinegar? Waldo's Habenero cooking wine got me thinking about creating some gourmet vinegars. Is it difficult and does it take long?

masta said:
George should be able to get the starter culture since LD Carlson carries it.

Looks interesting. According to the article, the culture is used over and over like a sourdough bread yeast. All you have to do is feed it wine.

George,

How much would the culture cost me. Looks like I would have to keep a different culture for every type of wine I'd be using.

Hey Vaughn. Did you ever hear from Gorge on that culure. I think this is sometheing I would like to try also. What method are you going to use? From what I have read thus far and understand I trhink the Orleans method is the way I will go.

I talked to George and he said he has the culture and I believe it is 10-12 dollars.

I would advise very strongly against making vinegarand wine in the same house. The Acetobacter bacteria could be come airborne and get into your wine. I understand there is some of this bacteria present in the air already but why increase the risk to make some vinegar.

I thought about this also but decided it was not worth the risk.

Waldo said:
Hey Vaughn. Did you ever hear from Gorge on that culure. I think this is sometheing I would like to try also. What method are you going to use? From what I have read thus far and understand I trhink the Orleans method is the way I will go.

Sorry Waldo. I talked with George in person last weekend. He does carry the culture. Just wasn't in the online catalog yet. Looks like I will need a quart container to follow the directions on the culture jar. I will give it a try first thing next year. My interest in it is to make gifts for some of my tea-toting friends. It's too late to make Christmas gifts now.

What is the Orleans method?

The Orleans Method for making Vinegar is the one I believe we are both looking at Vaughn. I found it as a featured articlein the Winter of 99 WineMaker magazine on making flavorful vinegars.

However, given Masta's advice I think I will defer on making any vinegars.

THANKS MASTA
smiley20.gif

http://winemakermag.com/feature/87.html

Back