Vinebrite Filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
I purchased a Vinebrite filter earlier in the year. I'm just starting to use it on the MM Limited Edition kits I started in Jan. and Feb.

My wine appears to be clear but I filter about 1/3 of the carboy and it justquits. I assume i am stopping up the pad. Is that normal? Do ya'll normally have to change filter pads in the middle of the job?

I never filtered before but I am doing so now because the MM directions recommend it.

Thoughts from anyone?

Thanks,

James

You should not have to change filter during this action. Did you clear the wine using a fining agent before hand as this filter is not meant to replace this procedure but just o take it to the next level and you should not insert racking cane to the bottom until the very end to prevent clogging it.

I have, on occaision, had to use multiple pads for a 6 gallon batch. I try to get the wine well clarified before filtering, but it is often hard to tell - especially with reds.

I use the Vinebrite filter too, and learned one thing the hard way. When using an autosiphon to start the filtration it is vital to leave the little purge valve openuntil liquid starts to run out. If not, the pressure can blow a hole in the filter pad. Ask me how I know.
smiley9.gif

How do you know Peter?
smiley4.gif
j/k

We filtered the Malbec we just bottled and I accidentally put the auto-siphon down into the lees with over half the carboy left to filter. It had the anti-sediment tip on it though and the carboy had been sitting for like four months so the lees were very compacted. I thought I had gotten lucky. But when I tipped the carboy to try and get every last drop I disturbed enough of the lees to just abouty clog the filter. It probably took an hour to filter the last half gallon or so! I thought about swapping out filter pads but I didn't want to bother sanitizing the new pad while maintaining the siphon at the same time so we just waited it out.

Every time I use my filter it does take quite awhile so 1 hour isnt really that bad as it usually takes me 45 minutes to do a 6 gallon batch if I remember correctly.

I have been thinking of buying some sort of filtering mechanism - would it be good to just invest in the buon vino (sp?) or is that just overkill?

The reds I have been trying to filter are the MM LE kits. The instructions say not to add fining agents if bulk aging. I put these kits "on the bench" for 3 months and then proceeded with the fining agents, etc.

I'm using about a 3/8 dia. tube to syphon with-it fits directly on the filter housing. I put a brass "barb" fitting on one end so it hangs straight down in the carboy. Nothing fancy.

After adding fining agents, I waited about two weeks before filtering. Maybe I should leave it just a little longer before trying to filter.

Wade, knowing that it takes yours an hour to filter tell me I need to be a little more patient too.

It is a slow procedure but all is well in the end knowing that your wine is clear and free from chewy things, just kidding but you know what I mean.

I think I one time had to change a filter pad 1/2 way through. I don't filter my reds as I don't seem to mind the sediment in reds. We do try to get a wine as clear as we can before filtering. We rack more than the instructions tell us before we try to filter.

PwP, I am now worried my reds aren't clear!! I take a sample of my reds and do the look thru the glass trick and don't see any "chewy" or sediment floating around.

I plan on making MM red kits this Fall, do I need to do the filtering thing?

smiley5.gif

I dont filter me reds. I just bulk age them a little more and do careful rackings.

Latest posts

Back