Vine update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

GrapeEater

Reaction score
I posted some pictures a couple weeks ago of my 2 grape plants that apparently had the leaves frozen off... even though I covered them. I live in Michigan. One plant the concord has sprouted a new little shoot/leaf the Niagara still has no new growth. I am pretty sure the Niagara is still alive because it still has some green on the branches. I have attached some pictures. My question is now that the Concord has new growth should I prune back all the dead branches or just do nothing?

DSC03872.jpg

DSC03873.jpg

FL Steve

Reaction score
I think I would just leave them alone and see what happens, I think they will surprise you.

andy123

Reaction score
Go ahead and prune back until you see some green in the cane. A nice blast of miracle grow and a good watering makes plants wake up.

rob

Reaction score
Yes prune back, no need to leave the dead stuff

GrapeEater

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the information. I will trim back a little bit of the branches until I hit green.

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
On the Concord, I would prune back to just above the green growth. That will form a nice strong shoot for future trunk. Leave the Niagara alone until you see if it grows (you could clip it back to green ).

GrapeEater

Reaction score
I have not had good luck with grapes in the past. Last year I bought bare root grapes and they both sprouted leafs but soon after they turned brown and fell off.... this year I bought nice big healthy plants.. then the leaves freeze off and now I am back to square one.... one of these days I will fill my arbor with grape vines!!!

GrapeEater

Reaction score
I also amended the soil as much as possible. I dug giant holes and added a lot of sand (I have heavy clay soil) and I also added in a little compost. The soil was nice and fluffy and water drained through very nicely. Last year I just dug a hole and threw them in... which is why I am not surprised I failed miserably last year. I also fertilized lightly with a 10-10-10 fertilizer. My arbor is in full sun and we get a nice breeze most days to keep the plants aired out.

Any other advice for a newbie like me? I live in West Michigan.

Latest posts