vine care in cold climates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Junior
Reaction score
The "instructions" :) for cold climates say something along the line sof:
2.Develop a workable trellis/training plan. Trellis systems for northern growers often involve growing trunks at a 45 degree angle. In the fall, vines are pruned back to eight buds, removed from their trellis, and allowed to lay on the ground. Snow cover acts as mulch and wind-chill protection. Straw and leaves attract rodents and should not be used for mulching. Some trials have shown that encouraging vines to develop double trunks lessens the chance of complete winter-kill during severe winters. Publications such as Growing Grapes in Minnesota (Minnesota Grape Growers Association, Box 106056, White Bear Lake, MN 55110) have detailed diagrams and instructions on vine management and trellis systems for cold climates.

How can you lay a vine down on the ground when the main vine is a few cms thick? It's a trunk so you would just end up snapping it?
...and any other vines will be a few feet off the ground

Laugh if you want but this has been done for years. Since the trunks are formed at an angle from the start, they will bend enough to be laid down without breaking. They are flexible, not rigit like a tree trunk.

I do not grow mine that way, but then again it doesn't get to -40 here.

Laugh if you want but this has been done for years. Since the trunks are formed at an angle from the start, they will bend enough to be laid down without breaking. They are flexible, not rigit like a tree trunk.

I do not grow mine that way, but then again it doesn't get to -40 here.

but eventually the trunks will be very thick won't they?
..and are they grown at an angle inwards to the trellis or perpendicular to it?

Last edited:
Back