Quantcast

Vidal Blanc

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Has anybody made a vidal blanc wine from vidal grapes? I am looking for a recipe on this.

Type of yeast strain
Acidity level
starting SG

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have not made it starting with grapes but made it from fresh juice. It is one of my favorite wines. I have 6 gallons of it aging right now and 8 gallons of the late harvest vidal I am making ice wine with.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I have not made it starting with grapes but made it from fresh juice. It is one of my favorite wines. I have 6 gallons of it aging right now and 8 gallons of the late harvest vidal I am making ice wine with.
Dan,

What type of yeast strain did you use?
What was your acidity level?
What was your starting SG?

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Starting sg was 1.082 and I used lalvin 1118 yeast. I do not know what the acid was anymore. I did not add anything extra either and no blends.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Thanks

Any reason for choosing the Lavlin 1118? I have read a few articles that recommend the Red Star Cote Des Blanc or the Lavlin 71B 1122.

I also read that for the first 4-6 months stir the lees up in the wine about every 2-3 weeks. It is suppose to help contribute a rich, creamy texture to the wine, which would balance the naturally higher acidity.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Jon that was the yeast I had at the time. I got my juice at walkers. I did not stir my lees and racked off of them after a month. I just went with their instructions. For the late harvest vidal I used champagne yeast as it was at 44 brix when I started it.

Latest posts