very,very old grape vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
An old friend of mine just called and wanted to know what to do with her old grape vines. These grape vines have been there for over30-40 years. I haven't went and looked at them yet, but she said the base or stalk is huge. She hasn't been able to get grapes from them. She knows nothing about grape vines. The people that lived there before had their own grapes for their own wine making. She said they'd get grapes on them and then they are gone. I told her the birds were getting them. She has pruned them down, but didn't know if that was the right thing to do either. If we can get them to produce and keep the grapes we will use them for wine. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!

I know nothing about this but how about covering them with nets to keep
the birds out. Thats what my father used to do on his blueberry bushes.
Its kind of like a big cheese cloth.

jsmahoney,

I'm by no means an expert on grape vines, but I know pruning technique is do or die on grapes. She may have done more damage when she cut them than she did good. My advice is find out what breed they are and enquire with an expert.

Grape vines are very forgiving. Even if pruned too severely, they will come back, sometimes after just one year they are better than ever. When the grapes dissapear, the birds might not be the problem. Being old vines they were probably overgrown and therefore very susceptible to disease. A lot of rots will make the grapes drop off before ready giving the illusion of them disappearing. Since they are pruned, tie them up to some type of trellis/support system. The air flow through them will be much better now that they are pruned. Get a book out of the library or online booklet on pruning and training techniques and read up. With some luck you could have a small to medium sized crop this coming year.

Good luck and keep us filled in on the progress of them.

Also have your friend put crumpled up tin foil on the trellis system... it will help scare away birds (or shiney ribbon).

Thanks everyone! I will surely let her know and we can hopefully get them back on track!

Latest posts

Back