Very Slow Fermentation Start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrion

Wine Drinker Extraordinaire
Reaction score
/Begin Freak-out
I started to batches of wine on Saturday (one apple, one lemon). Let both sit for 25 hours to kill of naturally occurring yeasts and such, pitched my yeast on Sunday. Now, when I have done wine kits, normally within a couple hours I can see some bubble action in the airlocks, and by the next day it looks like a bubble making machine.

Not so with these wines. Monday morning I stared at the airlocks for 5 minutes and saw one bubble come up from my apple wine.

Last night I stirred both up, took measurements (temp increase of 3 degrees overnight, both sitting cozy at 76 right now), crossed my fingers and went to bed.

This morning? Not quite a bubble making factory, but MUCH better than the day before. Looks like they both just needed another day and some more O2 to get cooking.
/end freak-out

Is it normal to have some batches start off slower than others? Do fruit wines take a bit longer to get started? Starting temperature for both were right around 73, so I thought that would be warm enough. Both used yeast energizer and nutrient.

What else should I be looking at for kicking off the yeast action?

I see you're doing the ferment under airlock. This is a nice idea for whites so you don't lose the volitiles. We don't do it that way--we use an open ferment.

However, one of the problems is as you noted--you need to get some O2 into the must. Another thing is that some cultures don't take off like a freight train. They ARE working, but don't show a ton of activity. But in a day or two, you usually see some foaming,assuring you the culture has taken hold. You used energizer and nutrient--many cultures need them. You didn't say which culture you're using. You can always take a hydrometer reading to see if the SG is dropping.

It's always a good thing to read about the culture you're using--then you know its requirements and how it behaves in the must.

Your temp seems fine, but I wouldn't want to see it warmer than that--especially on a white wine. You want to preserve the volitiles.

I would try adding yeast nutrients as well, if that doesn't get the yeast moving along, you may need to put the wine in a fermenting bucket and pitch new yeast.

Yeast nutrient always gets the yeast running fast for me.

Latest posts

Back