Very odd wine side effect...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcvwines

Junior
Reaction score
I recently finished my first batch of wine this winter. It came out relatively well, however, I have discovered one very odd side effect from consuming it. It has the peculiar ability to turn stool to a shade of green. It sounds absurd but i can assure you this is no joke and was observed by others as well. I have no idea why this would be. The closest thing I could find on the internet was the same occurance from consuming grape koolaid. This batch was from welches 100% concord concentrate. The only things added were sulfite, sugar, nutrient, oak chips, and sorbate. There have been no other side effects, and this can only be observed with a reasonable amount of wine (upwards of 2-3 glasses.) This isnt a huge issue, i would just like to know if anyone could shed some insight onto this oddity.

Red wine contains Flavonoids which in small amounts do not really do anything but when consummed at a certain level can do what you speak of depending on what and how much you have in your stomach. Here is the definition of flavonoids and what they have to offer for us and the little effects they conatin.

Flavonoids (or bioflavonoids) are a class of plant secondary metabolites. Flavonoids are most commonly known for their antioxidant activity. However, it is now known that the health benefits they provide against cancer and heart disease are the result of other mechanisms.[2][3] Flavonoids are also commonly referred to as bioflavonoids in the media – the terms are largely equivalent and interchangeable, for most flavonoids are biological in origin. Biological effects

Flavonoids are widely distributed in plants fulfilling many functions including producing yellow or red/blue pigmentation in flowers and protection from attack by microbes and insects. The widespread distribution of flavonoids, their variety and their relatively low toxicity compared to other active plant compounds (for instance alkaloids) mean that many animals, including humans, ingest significant quantities in their diet. Flavonoids have been referred to as "nature's biological response modifiers" because of strong experimental evidence of their inherent ability to modify the body's reaction to allergens, viruses, and carcinogens. They show anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory[4] , anti-microbial[5] and anti-cancer activity.

Consumers and food manufacturers have become interested in flavonoids for their medicinal properties, especially their potential role in the prevention of cancers and cardiovascular disease. The beneficial effects of fruit, vegetables, and tea or even red wine have been attributed to flavonoid compounds rather than to known nutrients and vitamins

Latest posts

Back