Verify cleaning method of primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Detail

Reaction score
I have my food grade plastic pail that once held cake frosting.
Just want to verify again what the best way to prepare this for accepting the initial juice/concentrate.

Should not use any bleach, correct?
Just clean with hot water and a brush and then rinse with K-Meta?
Is this enough?

You are correct, no bleach. You are correct, wash it with a food grade cleaner, or unscented dish soap and sanitize with meta. I usually use Star San to sanitize.

I have my food grade plastic pail that once held cake frosting.
Just want to verify again what the best way to prepare this for accepting the initial juice/concentrate.

Should not use any bleach, correct?
Just clean with hot water and a brush and then rinse with K-Meta?
Is this enough?

You are right on. I get these frosting buckets from a local grocery chain here and use them for my primary. Clean very good with hot water then I use B-Brite, OneStep, etc., then sanitize.

You could use an oxygenated cleaner without bleach in it, like oxyclean or B-Brite. Rinse good to remove any deposit film and then sanitize. Lots of ways to clean it, just get it clean.

Rich,
I have a few lbs of b-bright, maybe 5 lbs that I bought, but I cannot use it, it literally gives me chemical burns on my hands! Crazy stuff.

Thanks everyone.

Can't say I have ever heard of "B-Brite" or "Star-san". I think my wife has a spray bottle of Oxy-clean for spot treating clothing before washing.

Does "Star-san" replace the use of K-meta?

Last edited:
Not an expert but I'd shy away from brushing because I'm thinking too stiff a brush could scratch the plastic. I'd use a washcloth first to see if that got the job done.

A tip if you use Star San to sanitize: buy gallon jugs of distilled water and mix it in them. It will keep a lot longer and gives you something to store it in.

Not an expert but I'd shy away from brushing because I'm thinking too stiff a brush could scratch the plastic. I'd use a washcloth first to see if that got the job done.

Agreed, I just use very hot water with OxyClean. I let it soak until it is cool enough to put my hands in, then I use a clean wash cloth to wipe it down. Seems like if I let it sit on the hot water for a while it is more effective at eliminating the frosting smell.

Try using a solution of automatic dishwashing detergent (the liquid kind). This stuff does a great job and is perfectly safe (food-wise).

Latest posts

Back