Vanilla Extract

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedvine

Tony (Twisted Vine)
Reaction score
Started making my own vanilla extract for little xmas gifts, super easy. Just wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place to purchase small 4-5oz bottles from?

Thanks as always

I have some I made a couple years ago... but haven't used it yet. Another place to look for cool containers is World Market... or a Kitchen store... big box type... Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have some great little containters with flip top seals.

Debbie

When I owned my own business I made my Vanilla Extract for my store. I ordered anot 5 lbs of vanilla beans and did batches in vodka and bourbon. Both had different taste. I found the better quality vodka and ryed bourbon are better for making extract IMO. Ryed bourbons are very bold and spicy which I like.

I have never heard of anyone making their own vanilla extract how do you make it ?

I open and scrape the vanilla bean... put it in Vodka.... let it sit... voila... vanilla extract!

Debbie

I have never heard of anyone making their own vanilla extract how do you make it ?

I simply cut the v beans in half and then split lengthwise but not all the to the end. Place several beans and vodka into canning (mason jar). Let sit approx. 3 months in dark area, shaking occassionally. Then we poured into smaller 4 oz bottles and placed one of the used beans into the 4 oz bottle.
As people begin to use the vanilla, they can add more vodka and continue to make it.

Back