Other Vanilla extract

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brant

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been curious to see if anyone has been adding vanilla bean or extract to their dry red wine kits (pre or post fermentation) for a little vanilla boost? Nothing excessive, just a little to add some more pronounced vanilla notes.

Anyone with experience doing this, what has been your results and what recommendations do you have (if any)?

Cheers

Last edited:
I've been curious to see if anyone has been adding vanilla bean or extract to their dry red wine kits (pre or post fermentation) for a little vanilla boost? Nothing excessive, just a little to add some more pronounced vanilla notes.

Anyone with experience doing this, what has been your results and what recommendations do you have (if any)?

Cheers
there fun to play with

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Yup have used organic (no propylene glycol) vanilla. Liked 1ml vanilla and 2ml carmel per 3 gallon carboy. 5.5ml of carmel per 5 gallons is kinda obvious.

Is the 1 ml/3 gal strong or a subtle background flavor that you wouldn't recognize as coming from vanilla extract?

I'm aiming more for a barrel aged hint of vanilla. I'm not currently picking up any vanilla notes in the wines I've made using oak cubes. I want more background but don't want to overwhelm with a burned wood taste by over-oaking. Figured vanilla additions might do the trick.

I guess I'll need to experiment with a bottle or two in a decanter. I assume the vanilla flavor would diffuse throughout the wine quickly. If added during bottling, I wonder if the vanilla flavor would change over time as it ages or if it would hold.

At 1ml/ 3gal I did not not name vanilla, but felt there was a woody oak (Carmel) note. I did this when doing bottling on racked finished wine, you could rack into ones or threes and do the same.
Time is a good question, I may have some 2020 to check. At the club meeting the level was said to be “overly oaked “ probably at 5ml per 5gallon.

Is the 1 ml/3 gal strong or a subtle background flavor that you wouldn't recognize as coming from vanilla extract?

I'm aiming more for a barrel aged hint of vanilla. I'm not currently picking up any vanilla notes in the wines I've made using oak cubes. I want more background but don't want to overwhelm with a burned wood taste by over-oaking. Figured vanilla additions might do the trick.

I guess I'll need to experiment with a bottle or two in a decanter. I assume the vanilla flavor would diffuse throughout the wine quickly. If added during bottling, I wonder if the vanilla flavor would change over time as it ages or if it would hold.
Depending on the quality’s of the extract , timing is everything at least 1 year is required to balance out .
Less is more

nor would you

I tried using 1/2 a Madagascar vanilla bean once, BAD NEWS!! It didn't turn out very well. Way to much Vanilla
less is more
I have added 1 oz vanilla extract to 6 gallons and after 1year tasted really good, but that is my taste. I would not go any higher. I just added a little bit at a time, tasted to get the amount that the Mrs and I liked.
less is more

I once added 1 teaspoon of extract to 6 gal of Grenach after fermention had finished. A Wine Lovers medium body kit. Very good after aging 1 year. Became more pronounced after 2 years. I'll do it again but only half as much. As Joe said, less is more.

Back