WineXpert Valpolicella Selection Original extra oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnied

Reaction score
Just started a Valpolicella Selection Original May 22, 2011 and I want to add extra oak after the first fermentation. I have made the kit as instructed and placed the two oak "dust" packets in the first fermentation. I did replace the yeast with the Lalvin RC 212. My question is when should I add the Oak cubes that I purchased extra? Should I wait until after I clear and re-rack on the extra oak? or should I do this in the second stage of the fermentation? I am new to adding extra oak and don't want to mess up this batch of wine. Any advise would be appreciated!

I would wait until you have racked off the fines and have nice clear wine. Be careful with cubes or beans thats a lot of oak. Valpolicella is not normally an oak monster. I would not add any more than 2 oz and then monitor closely (taste, taste, taste). Probably done in 1 to 2 mo max.

The plan was for about a month, maybe less. Should I save this oak for my next batch of Barolo?

There should be a little more to extract but not a whole lot. I would toss as its cheap enough not to reuse the oak except for BBQ of course!

There should be a little more to extract but not a whole lot. I would toss as its cheap enough not to reuse the oak except for BBQ of course!

LOL

Mike, What I should have said is... Should I not use the oak in this batch and save it for the Barolo that I'm making next?

If all you have added are the oak sawdust once you do your final racking I would do a taste and see where the oak is. My guess would be fairly light. I think you could do an once or two still. Its all taste preference at this point.

Thanks Mike! I think that I'll add the oak on the third rack and let it sit for about a month and see how it turns out. I'll let you know!:h

Latest posts

Back