Vacuum pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I bought a 2.5CFM vacuum pump at Harbor Freight and want to try using it for racking. My concern is the smell of oil. Has anyone used this pump? Will it compromise the taste of the wine?

I agree with Dr Alarms. Oilless is the way to go.

If you REALLY insist on using this pump, there are a few steps you can take to help. You should use at least one, preferably 2 traps between your wine and the pump, where "trap" means an evacuated vessel, like a mason jar or wine bottle, with a double-holed bung. In addition, you could use a long hose between pump and wine. And, finally, make sure you take the exhaust and vent it out of the wine room. You could combine my 2nd and 3rd suggestions by putting the pump outside, and using a long hose to suck on the receiving carboy.

I have and use that exact pump all of the time, both for racking and degassing, and incorporate a few precautions, and have never had an issue. I have 4’ of tubing between the pump and carboy, with a simple catch reservoir in between. Also wrap a damp cloth towel around the discharge end of the pump which very effectively traps and oil vapor that may be discharged.

Back