Vacuum Levels during racking and bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhattin

Reaction score
I inadvertently posted this article under the vacuum filtration thread and it got buried, If the moderator will allow, I will post again as a separate thread and may have to split it into two . Here goes:
Several posts in different threads have asked the question what level of vacuum should you draw either as you rack/transfer your wine from one glass carboy to another and thereby degas the wine further, it or as you vacuum fill your wine bottles.
A couple of considerations: one is the integrity of the glass carboys, and the level of the wine in the carboys. My approach to date is to max the vacuum draw, which for my pump is 27 in Hg, or about .52 psi absolute ( 14.7 - .52 relative) . This is a lot of vacuum and I suspect my gauge may be misreading although I have no easy way to check it. No effects so far on the glass carboys, but it certainly does a number on the plastic ones. I feel a lot safer using the carboys that have the extra ridges running vertically ( have a green tint to them).
The second consideration is the effect on the dissolved CO2, and the ethanol, that is is solution. I have noticed that if I add small stainless steel screws, to the bottom of the receiving wine, I will get much more Carbon dioxide release at lower vaccum levels than without. My guess is they are nucleation sites for the CO2 coming out of solution. More importantly tho' is the effect of very strong vacuum on alcohol in solution. I finally found a boiling point versus atmosphere table for ethanol (ethanol producers database). This table shows that at 19.7 deg C, and a vacuum of 2.13 in Hg, ethanol will boil/convert to a gaseous state. ( Part Two follows)

A vacuum level of 2.13 inHg absolute is possible with my vacuum pump Reitschele Thomas Model 2660CE-190 A ( ebay $130) which has a capacity of 4.5 cfm.
During racking, because of the fluid movement, it is difficult to get to this level, and during initial degassing of wine, because of the egress of the CO2, it is difficult to sustain this vacuum level for very long.
Since CO2 is a gas at normal temp and pressure (STP), and vacuum applied to the surface of the fluid will extract it from solution, it is all a question of how quickly. Obviously higher vacuum extracts faster. Larger surfaces also allow faster CO2 extraction (so apply a sustained vacuum to a carboy that is only filled to the shoulder )
My conclusion is that vacuum level should never be lower than 2.17 in HG (absolute) and for a safety margin, should not operate less than 5.54 in HG (absolute) (equivalent to 40,000 ft altitude). 2.17in Hg absolute is equivalent to (29.97-2.17) -27.8 in Hg ( relative).
As an experiment, I took some totally degassed and stable wine, ran the vacuum to 6 in Hg abs, without any bubbles forming. Increasing the vacuum to 2 in Hg abs, showed large bubbles coming from the surface and deeper within the carboy. I am guessing that I am vaporizing alcohol. Not good.
So my rack/bottling vacuum levels are 15 in Hg absolute/5 in Hg absolute respectively.
My test to see if the wine is degassed is to leave the vacuum line hooked up for 10 minutes and observe the vacuum level change.
Splash racking/filling also helps.
Ric

Latest posts

Back