Vacuum in a carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
I use those rubber bottle plugs that take a handheld vacuum pump on partially emptied bottles. Are there any such devices which can be used on a carboy?? Or is a carboy not structurally sound enough for vacuum? I know,, I know,, why not just enjoy the whole bottle!! Topping up reduces the space for oxygen, but a vacuum would help too,,,,no?

Floandgary
Please look on my website as there is an informational video how to use vacuum with a carboy.

I believe after rereading your comment - you are asking -if you can put vacuum on a carboy because of excessive headspace ? and leave it as well - correct ?

If you are talking about the Vacuvin bottle plugs you can put those into the top of an S-airlock and then put the airlock on the carboy using a rubber bung. It has to be a glass carboy or the vacuum will collapse the bottle. I have used this to degas wine before. If you are talking about doing this for long term storage I am not sure this will be enough to protect the wine from oxidation. It would probably help but your best bet is to top up or go to a smaller carboy.

Back