Vacu Vin Vacuum Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
A few days ago we purchased a Vacu Vin.

Now this great little gadget with its one way valve stopper and vacuum pump works wonders getting the pressure out of a half full bottle of wine.

I don't want any one to think I am saying anything bad about this for what is its purpose.

Unfortunately this was not the purpose for our purchase. :(

I got tired of drill degassing and thought if I could create a Vacuum things would work much better... good thought hu?
slap.gif

well you see today both my right & left arms feel like I have been training for Olympic weight lifting lol

I spent a half hour pumping on this before I realized that I was not getting a good seal from the carboy cap... so I wrapped plastic wrap around it to make a seal and after another hour of pumping I had to give up because my arms were going to give out lol ....

To top it off I don't think the wine is degassed yet lol ... back to the drill I guess...

THIS IS A HEADS UP TO THOSE FOLKS WITH THE SAME IDEA

:tsVACU VIN

have a great day ev1

After watching one of George's videos, I tried it too. Same issue. George made it look so easy. I just got another carboy cap and I'll try it with that on my next batch.

I will say that so far, my batches start out at six gallons, and end up as less than that. As a result, I usually have part of each batch bulk aging/clearing in bottles and the rest in a 5 gallon carboy. After I've degassed the carboy, I use the VacuVin to degass the bottles.

the vacuvin does work, but in conjunction with drill spinning, at least is my experience.....will it hold a vacuum for long???....no, but you can see the bubble forming as you pump it up....i normally use it with an s-shaped air lock, removing the top of it, inserting into a universal bung, and put the vacuvin "cork" into the top of the airlock....pump it up a bit, feeling the back force build, and let it sit for a few minutes....then release the pressure, pump it back up and repeat as necessary, BUT all this is done after doing some drill stirring first....

I used a Vacuvin for my first few batches until I got a vacuum pump. Its a little easier to just flip an on off switch for sure. The best seal I got with the Vacuvin was using one of the S shaped airlocks. The Vacuvin fit just perfectly into the top of the airlock (with the cap pulled off). Use a Buon Vino hard stopper (drilled) to insert the airlock into, then insert into the carboy as usual.

lol...well looks like we are on the same page, mike....i would love to get a vacuum pump, especially the all in one, but after taking a 1200 a month hit on household income, things just got a little tighter....lol...but eventually one day...until then, i'll keep using the vacuvin and drill combo...

You have to have the same S-shaped air lock to get it to work. With the right setup, it works well, considering the cost.

I think the Vacuvin did more for removing gas than the mix-stir ever did. Just saying. It does work really well if you get a seal. Just get one of these......

doublebubblerairlock.jpg

My favorite air lock! It won't suck air lock solution back into the carboy like the three-piece will. Also doesn't dry up the solution as quickly.

My favorite air lock! It won't suck air lock solution back into the carboy like the three-piece will. Also doesn't dry up the solution as quickly.

I also agree ! I really like this type of an airlock especially after any fermation, because I can look at it and tell right away if I have a airtight seal on the carboy. If I dont the level will be the same (from side to side )- telling me I have a leak somewhere.

I put mine on the first part of a 3 peice airlock that goes into a bung. It seals perfectly. Pump until you get tired. I leave it overnight and there is still a suction on it in the morning. Pump some more and take it off and let it age. Much more effective then the drill stir. I just use that to mix stuff now. I'm perfectly happy with it but I'm not spoiled with a vacuum pump....yet....

I use a converted 12 volt air pump as a vacuum. I transfer wine with it and I degas with it. I hope it is working. I still get lots of bubbles but no foam.

putting it in the air lock is a good idea ... I will have to try that thx .... any one ever had a bung sucked into their carboy?

putting it in the air lock is a good idea ... I will have to try that thx .... any one ever had a bung sucked into their carboy?

I have pushed several bungs thru a carboy, it is always fun retrieving it as well !! (LOL)

Back