Vac-u-vin for degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I am getting ready to degas some non-kit wine and am considering buying a vac-u-vin pump. I have seen a You-tube movie that shows a Snail vacuum pump and the video shows how the Snail connects to a #7.5 bung inserted into a carboy. Has anyone used a vac-u-vin pump? Does it easily attach to a carboy bung? I cannot finds any information online this pump. Thanks.

Here is a link to buying these from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SAF4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This shows the new style stopper, and I have not tried that stopper. Unfortunately, the old style stopper was discontinued about 5 years ago.

There are two ways to use it.

a) put the stopper on one nipple of the orange carboy cap
b) put the stopper on the centre tube of an airlock. You need to remove the outer part of the air lock. (Sorry not a great explanation.)

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, cpfan. Your explanation was very clear. In fact I went to my local beer/wine making store at noon today (our local time) and picked up a vac-u-vin pump to attach to my airlock (The fellow there suggested that it works just as well with S bend type airlocks which (obviously) need to be emptied of water before connecting to the vacuum pump).

Before I bought my larger vacuum pump, I would use a drill stirrer to do most of the degassing, then finish off with the vacu-vin. It worked well. I use the S-type airlock with the vacu-vin.

Back