Using Fruit w/ Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwinedude

Seed Separator
Reaction score
Happy Mothers Day to all you Moms!!!!!

Has anyone tried adding fruit to the primary fermentation process for a OB type kit?

I am kicking around some ideas and was curious if anyone has tried this...

thanks

pawinedude:

Thre are lots of peoplewho add part or all of the fruit flavour pack to the primary. Don't recall any discussion about adding fruit at that stage.

Steve

I have never done so as if I have fruit Ii usually use it to make a wine of its own.

I hear you on the f-pac's...

The fpacs provide sweetness and some similar fruit tastes, but IMO, the taste could be improved.

for instance, in the green apple riesling....what would happen if you started the kit as normal, but dropped a bag of green apple slices into the primary...

then completed the recipe as normal. At FPAC time, I would imagine you could add some or all of it.

I would like to have a better apple taste as opposed to a syrup type taste that is noticeable in these kits.....

thoughts?

IMO when mixing fruit to ferment you often get one that stands out more than the others when fermented....I think a better way would be to make two separate wines and blend for the flavor you like......I think you would have a lot more control on the out come.....But this is your wine and it can be a lot of fun to try some different things...Good Luck in what ever you do..

Adding green apples after fermentation was complete didn't contribute much to the flavor of my riesling. I diced two granny smiths and left them in a 3-gal carboy for 8 weeks - almost can't tell.

Don't know what effect you will get from adding apples to the primary, though.

Latest posts

Back