Using Fridge for Wine Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
OK all you winos' gimme a heads up now. I have purchased a refrigrator to store wine in and was wondering if any of you had tried this gadget from e-bay. In theory, it overides the thermostat on the fridge or freezer depending on which one you want to use it onand you can set it for any temp up to 80 degrees.

2006-07-11_173000_9d_2.jpg

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/Homebrew-or-Draft-Beer-Freezer-Temperatu re-Controller_W0QQitemZ150008012256QQihZ005QQcategoryZ38172Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Never knew one existed. Wow, you learn something new everyday!

Sorry I can't help ya, but it sure is interesting!

From what I read they work very well for people using freezers setup as kegerators to store beer kegs. I have also read that vibration and lack of humiditycould be an issue with long term storage of winewith anormal fridge.

Maybe you could keep a bowl of water in the bottom or a damp towel the
help with the humidity issue. I have no idea about the vibration, but
most newer models have very little vibration anyway.

Pete

I have developed a plan that will solve my problem. I will just keep all of my wines drank up to ensure they require no long term storage
smiley36.gif

I think if you wine is consumed within 4 years of bottling, that humidity will not be much of a problem.

And now you've got me looking for used fridges to fill up more space in the garage
smiley4.gif

Did you say four years????
smiley5.gif

If it lasts four months in this house, with the exception of some bottles I've hidden from myself, it's a wonder. I can't speak for Waldo but, four years would be some kind of a record.
smiley36.gif

I'm with you guys. I cant keep any wine longer than 7 months except for
three bottles of each different wine that I've made That are labeled
"break only in emergeny in 1 year". I also bought an old refrigerator
out of the classifieds for 25$ and turned it all the way down and the
temp stays at 59*. Is that a good temp. for storing wine. By the way I
just finished bottling my Black Currant.
smiley32.gif
smiley17.gif

wadewade said:
I also bought an old refrigerator out of the classifieds for 25$ and turned it all the way down and the temp stays at 59*. Is that a good temp. for storing wine.

59 degrees is a good temperature for storing wine, but (as mentioned before) the lack of humidity in the refrigerator might be a concern.

Also, how old is this "old" refrigerator? If it's too old, it's going to be an energy hog. That, plus the lack of humidity control, might make it better in the long run to buy a small wine cooler rather than an old refrigerator.

I've got one similar to that one, except mine is has a digital readout & solid state buttons (do we still use the term "solid state"?). Anyway, I use mine with a chest type deep freeze & it works perfectly. I set it for 59 degrees & it keeps it within a degree of that. I placed a humidity meter inside & it shows ~72%, so I wouldn't worry abt the humidity. Maybe a fridge or freezer actually has to get as cold as it's designed to get to draw moisture from the air inside. ??

I like this device & am surprised that more folks don't use them.

Robert

Is a wine cooler any different then a refridgerator other than design
inside. I didnt think they have humidity either. I think I have enough
humidity in this oldert fridge though. I have sweat on the bottles and
it does not have a fan, it just has the old bars in the back that get
frost on them. As for energy, I havent gotten the electric bill yet!
smiley19.gif
smiley1.gif

Thedifference in a wine cooler and a refrigerator is the wine cooler will go up to a temp of 60 deg's where a frig will only go up to 40 deg's. I put a small cap full of water at the bottom of my wine frig for the humidity.

Lets not forget the other big difference between a wine cooler and a frig...THE PRICE!!!

Pete

Very interesting!
I read of a good plan with a small regular refrigerator: because it won't keep temp about 55 degrees, you hook up an appliance timer to the small refrig. It has settings for many different hours ,so you set it to run a little each hour after you figure out how much it must run to maintain 55 degrees. Maybe 5 minutes out of each ghour etc. pete

Very interesting!
I read of a good plan with a small regular refrigerator: because it won't keep temp about 55 degrees, you hook up an appliance timer to the small refrig. It has settings for many different hours ,so you set it to run a little each hour after you figure out how much it must run to maintain 55 degrees. Maybe 5 minutes out of each ghour etc. pete
p.s. the refrig is set at it's lowest temp.

Hi Waldo:
Have you got the fridg. control working?
I bought a fridg. to store my wine in and I can't get it any higher than 43 degrees and then it turns off.
How does that switch work and what is it called.will it just control the fridg or does it over ride the whole thing? I would like to get the fridg up to 50 degrees but keep the frezzer in action.
Thanks Bill

Latest posts

Back