Using figs??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehfarm

Junior
Reaction score
I have a freezer full of figs and trees are loaded again. Anybody use them for wine? I haven’t read many good reviews of straight fig. Maybe mixed with other fruits?? Thanks

welcome to Wine Making Talk

The fig I have looked at is high pH as 4.65 & 4.72/ TA 0.43% & 0.59%. It will need acid/ acid blend.
When doing low acid fruits I have found that lemon adds attractive fruity notes without being obvious as lemon flavor. (ex 1% to 5% RealLemon). I test fruit combinations in a pie or a tea.

Jack Keller ( https://swguildpa.com/wp-content/up...omplete-Requested-Recipes-Collection.pdf#page 318) has a fig wine recipe

Last edited:
I made a fig last year that turned out great. Doesn't taste like Figs, like a strawberry will taste like strawberry, which was nice because I don't love figs to just eat. My dad gave them to me, and I said What the heck, I'll go for it. Glad I did as it is a nice, subtle wine. I made another batch this year and am looking forward to it.

Pro tip - squish them up in a mesh bag very thoroughly and hit it with a good dose of K-meta before fermenting. The bag because they have a lot of pulp, and the K-meta because all the nasties are Inside the figs. You want to zap them well. Ask me how I know... I managed to get a grip on it early in secondary, twice, thankfully! I figured out the cause on the second batch. Next year will be smooth sailing, hopefully.

Vierka, a German wine yeast maker from years ago, I don't know if they still exist, printed a booklet in which they claimed that Rose hip and Fig made the best non grape wine.
That's probably debatable, as wine is a personal taste.

I make fig wine almost every year. it is very good and my wifes favorite after about 18 months.
For 6 gallons I use 22 lbs of figs, and average over 4 1/2 tablespoons of Acid. ( 3.5-3.55)
I found near 13% ABV is the sweet spot for balance, very little to no tannin added.....
I usually end up with just over 5 gallons as figs shed a lot of gross lees. Give it plenty of time to clear.
I have varied this recipe over many years but this is about the best to our taste.

That sounds wonderful!. Do you grow the figs and use them fresh?. I’ve never seen that many fresh figs.
I have used dried figs in a Beet wine that came out heavy like a sweet vermouth. Not the most drinkable- but works for a martini.;)

I was just going through my canning recipes and I came across pickled figs. It's kinda old school and calls for Xmas spices. Cinnamon sticks, ginger, cardamon etc. That might be fun to experiment with in smaller batches.

That sounds wonderful!. Do you grow the figs and use them fresh?. I’ve never seen that many fresh figs.
I have used dried figs in a Beet wine that came out heavy like a sweet vermouth. Not the most drinkable- but works for a martini.;)
I do grow the figs, I have a few old trees that I keep pruned for production
I freeze them till the weather cools in fall to make wine and preserves.
I have dried them, makes a completely different wine, still very good but a very different taste.
Wash them, cut off stem end then freeze.

Latest posts

Back