WineXpert Using carbon for fining?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
I have a WE 2012 LE Riesling Chenin Blanc kit that is about 6 months into bulk aging. Everything smelled and tasted great during primary, but at the first racking it started to stink. I tasted it last night, and while the mid taste and finish were really good, it presented with a nose that is pure chemical nastiness. somewhere between sulfur and acetone. On top of that, it has the color of urine. I'm on the brink of tossing it, but before going there I wanna try my luck with some creative fining. So far my research seems to imply that activated carbon is my best bet. I can't seem to find anything on how to go about doing this. Do I just dump it in, watch it turn black, wait for it to settle, then rack again? Or do I need to do this in some form of carbon filter?

Activated powder carbon is usually used to get rid of a nasty smell of rotten eggs. if used it will strip the wine of any flavor. I would suggest some splash racking before your resort to carbon use. Google "removal of H2S in wine" and some resources should be available on use of carbon. I bought it from Presque Isle at www.piwine.com. if I recall the container had dosage directions.

I second the idea of contacting WE. Activated carbon could hurt your wine if used improperly. It is not selective in what it removes. What yeast was used? I assume the instructions were followed completely?

The instructions were followed precisely. I used only the stock ingredients. I purchased this kit from a seller on ebay when it was about a year old. In retrospect, I probably should have replaced the yeast. The juice tasted fine, but at the first racking things started to smell and look foul.

I have contacted the manufacturer, FWIW, but have yet to receive a reply.

I have contacted the manufacturer, FWIW, but have yet to receive a reply.

Don't hold your breath. The last time I contacted them via e-mail, the response came over two weeks later. You may have better luck by phone.

Don't hold your breath. The last time I contacted them via e-mail, the response came over two weeks later. You may have better luck by phone.
That has not been my experience. In fact, I contacted WE yesterday about a problem with my Italian Brunello kit. Within 2 hours I received a reply that my issue should be ok, but WE is going to send me a replacement kit anyway. That's top notch customer service if you ask me.
Did you contact customer service ( [email protected] ), or just the information address ( [email protected] )?

I received a response back from Tim V. He seemed to think that the smell was acetaldehyde that developed secondary to severe oxidation.He cautioned me against trying to bulk age in the future, and left it at that. My issue developed during fermentation, and as stated earlier I followed the instructions to the letter. I have a hard time seeing how this could have been the case. It's not like I was fermenting with the lid off. Regardless, his response made it clear that he thinks I screwed up, and that I can expect no relief from the company.

I plan to proceed on the assumption that Tim is wrong, try some Turbo Carbon and hope for the best, unless y'all can suggest a better option?

Back