RJ Spagnols Using BM4x4 in RJS Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badiali

Junior
Reaction score
I would like to substitute the EC-1118 with BM 4X4 since I really like the fruit forward profile this yeast produces. However, I have never used it on a kit before (just local grapes). I have heard that I should add extra nutrient. How much since the kit already has some nutrient in it? Or, should I just wait and see if I get some hydrogen sulfide being produced and then introduce a teaspoon or two? Also would DAP be okay or should I do a Fermaid K type of boost if needed?

I'm a big fan of that yeast - particularly in big, Italian red wines. Never had any issues. If I do start to get a whiff of H2S, I add a teaspoon of Fermaid K or O. That usually knocks it out. If not, I've had to add a second once or twice and that has done the trick.

An older Tim V article that I just read on another thread right here says never add nutrients to a wine kit. He says the manufacturer puts the right amount in and more will just stay there and give an off taste.

For what it is worth, I have made a number (~5 or 6) of kits using BM45 without using nutrient, and have not had any H2S problems. YMMV, obviously.

That is good to know. I also hear the alcohol potential of this kit is upwards of 16%, which might be pushing the alcohol limits of the BM4x4 as well, but to be honest, if it goes a little off dry, 30 bottles of recioto is not a bad thing at all.

Last edited:
@Badiali, what was the final reading on that RJS Amarone. I as well want to use BM4X4 on my kit but was hesitant to do it after reading your comment about recioto, I really want a dry wine and not a desert wine. But I also want a yeast that does a little more to the nose than EC-1118.

Last edited:
Inactivated yeast in kit

I also noticed that on the ingredients list for this kit the juice includes inactivated yeast. Not knowing what kind of yeast it is, is it not possible it could be EC-1118 (the package yeast that is included with the kit) which might just kill the BM4x4? How would one know? I suppose doing a side by side comparison, but that's pretty impractical with this kit.

I've used it on multiple Amarone and Super Tuscan kits that have exceeded 15% and haven't had any issues. If you start to notice a little H2S during the ferment, just give it a teaspoon of Fermaid.

Latest posts

Back