using bentonite , lots to talk about.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
so regarding Bentonite, I recently used some in my 6 gallon batch of Welchs frozen grape concentrate and also in a 1 gallon minute maid berry concentrate. I couldnt believe the difference it made in adding it into these two batches. these batches have been going for almost 2 weeks and the berry wine is already VERY clear and sitting in secondary, i couldnt believe how clear it looks, the other batch isnt clear, but for some reason this berry wine is really clear and looking good. any idea why it works so well for this small berry batch? They were both fermented on june 06th and have approximately the same amount of ABV.

Also I was wondering why the fermentation was so quite, but then I read that bentonite is also a stabilizer , which is perfect for those batches that are filled up close to the top of your fermenter. So now im wondering how this would work in beer? I just recently did my first batch of coopers Real ale beer and it was a vigirious and hot fermentation and alot of foam was coming out, so it got me thinking if i should try bentonite the next time to tone it down. any one heard or tried of this ?!

I read that different clearing agents work better for dif wines. Some clearing agents have a positive charge, some have a negative charge. Idk what one bentonite has but I'm assuming this is the reason it worked so well on one and not the other. Some clearing agents like superkleer have both negative and positive charged clearing agents in them which is why it works so well on most wines.

Edit: also, sparkolloid has the opposite charge of bentonite. Maybe that will work for you bud

Last edited:
I use bentonite in all my wines weather I use a clearing agent or not. (some I bulk age and do not use an agent in them) It is natural and it has a negative charge as stated before. If I decide to use a clearing agent I use Isinglass which has a positive charge and it works for me all the time. I add it and within 24 hours the wine is clear. Since they are both natural I don't see why they wouldn't work in beer. Now with that said I have never made beer so don't take my word for it. It is just my opinion.

okay so we have talked a little about bentonite pre fermentation, but what about post fermentation? I know you can add it before and after fermentaion. but is one way better than he other , or maybe ill add it before AND after. also how do you use bentonite? Iv read directions from a website indicating you have to hydrate it and then whip it up in a blender or it will just sink rite to thr bottom of your fermenter. but ghe directions on my package said nothing about this. it just said to add it in a certain dosage.

also how the heck do you store bentonite? is it as fragile as yeast. where it cant be kept too hot or something? does anyone know the shelf life for bentonite? i accidentally bought two big packs at the LHBS and now have enough to probably last me all year haha

also how the heck do you store bentonite? is it as fragile as yeast. where it cant be kept too hot or something? does anyone know the shelf life for bentonite? i accidentally bought two big packs at the LHBS and now have enough to probably last me all year haha

It is clay, so keeping it dry is about all that is needed. It should last about forever.

Using it post fermentation works well. I've only used it post fermentation, so I cannot comment on which is better.

shanek17.....here is a great overview on using bentonite: http://winemakermag.com/stories/tec...filtration/715-using-fining-agents-techniques Just so you know, many people do bentonite trials so they determine the optimal amount of bentonite to put in their wine. Also, if you don't already subscribe to Winemaker Magazine, it is something to consider...great reading. If you have a friend who has a paid subscription they usually get ONE FREE GIFT SUBSCRIPTION each year which can be given to whomever they choose.

And this site provides A LOT of information about beer haze: http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/beer-haze/

saramc said:
shanek17.....here is a great overview on using bentonite: http://winemakermag.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/12-clarityfiltration/715-using-fining-agents-techniques Just so you know, many people do bentonite trials so they determine the optimal amount of bentonite to put in their wine. Also, if you don't already subscribe to Winemaker Magazine, it is something to consider...great reading. If you have a friend who has a paid subscription they usually get ONE FREE GIFT SUBSCRIPTION each year which can be given to whomever they choose.

And this site provides A LOT of information about beer haze: http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/beer-haze/

awesome! these articles look great , thanks for sharing them. im hoping that on my next batch of beer that the bentonite will help calm down the fermentation , and clarify it too. Ill be checkin out these articles soon they look interesting.

Latest posts

Back