Urgent: how do I save/finish my wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I need to sulfite, fine and stabilize (and sweeten) this wine. In what order should I do them ?

Do I need to do a lot of stirring when I sulfite the wine ? Will it generate a lot of foam ?

Thanks.

Here is an update... I got a very pleasant surprise today. I took a look at this wine and a ton of sediment dropped out of it. Over half an inch. I sampled it and its very good just the way it is.

These wines made from real fruit, fermented with fruit in them seem to drop a lot of sediment. Its a very clear wine now. I don't think I will filter it when I rack it.

My wife likes sweeter wines so I think we are going to sweeten it with 1 teaspoon of sugar per cup or a bit less than 2 cups of sugar for the 22 litre carboy. (88 teaspoons = 1.83 cups) Does anyone think that is too much sugar ?

Does anyone have tips for tasting and sweetening and figuring out the proper sweetness ? The only thing I've noticed is that if you add sugar to a glass of wine, it tastes weird/harsh at first. If you let it sit for 15 minutes, it tastes totally different.

So the next step is to rack it into a clean carboy and sweeten it and let is sit for a few days before we bottle it.

The recipe calls for the addition of ascorbic acid. What does that do to a wine ?

Thanks.
Edited by: MrFruitwines

Latest posts

Back