Unhealthy sediment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glen

Reaction score
My first batch is an apple wine with cinnamon in the initial fermentation vessel. Sg fell more than I would have liked before first racking, 60%.

After racking I noticed a1/4 inch of sediment. In general it looked how I expected, but there were black streaks in it. No foul smell and the very young apple wine tasted good.

Any cause for concern?

Last edited:
First racking (Moving from primary fermentation vessel to a carboy for the secondary fermentation) is normally done when the SG is somewhere between 1.030 and 1.010. Most folks don't talk about the percentage of change.

As to the black streaks, I wouldn't worry about it. No seed were ground up in the must right?

Thank you for the fast reply, you put my mind at ease.

Started out with an sg of 1.100, racked at 1.040. Read somewhere to rack when sg falls by 1/3 and add 1/2 total nutrient.... the % change was a poorly referenced

All the same, I did not have any seeds in the pulp, I used juice and concentrate.

Yeah, it's surprising what can literally fall out of a seemingly clear juice. I made an apricot and a black currant wine from canned concentrate and was surprised at how much sediment there was - mostly yeast cells but still WOW!

Thank you for the fast reply, you put my mind at ease.

Started out with an sg of 1.100, racked at 1.040. Read somewhere to rack when sg falls by 1/3 and add 1/2 total nutrient.... the % change was a poorly referenced ��

All the same, I did not have any seeds in the pulp, I used juice and concentrate.

Add the last half of the nutrient at the 1/3 break. Wait til the ferment gets down to 1.030 or less to rack it to the carboy. When you rack it then, bring at least part of the lees (the gunk on the bottom) with it. If you rack it too early, one of these days there will be a post on here "Why did my wine quit fermenting before going to dry." Have fun and good luck with it, Arne.

Add the last half of the nutrient at the 1/3 break.

Arne,
I have always added all the listed nutrient up front. Is this effecting my wine and what is it doing? just a newbe question? Also, I am just now understanding controlled ABV, Back sweetening and f-pacs.. is there something I'm missing on nutrient application timing?

I will say that my current peach tastes much better than my very first batch...

Whitehrs,
Not affecting anything, as long as your wine is fermenting dry.

I always added nutrient all up front too, with good success. For me, it depends what yeast I am using. Yeast such as EC-1118 seem to blow right through everything without needing much help. Others I have used that require more help, I step feed like Arne laid out.

I believe step feeding can also aide in not getting stuck ferments with some musts.

Whitehrs,
Not affecting anything, as long as your wine is fermenting dry.

I always added nutrient all up front too, with good success. For me, it depends what yeast I am using. Yeast such as EC-1118 seem to blow right through everything without needing much help. Others I have used that require more help, I step feed like Arne laid out.

I believe step feeding can also aide in not getting stuck ferments with some musts.

Thanks.. I always go to secondary about 1.020 - 1.030, and let her go dry.. rack, stabilize and bulk age. rack every couple months.. I probably bottle way to early because I'm impatient.. But I'm getting better. I am a fruit wine guy, and like them semi to Sweet.. so I back sweeten a week or two before bottling. This lets it clear anything that may have clouded with back sweetening.. and allows for ensuring no rejuvenated fermentation starts. and doesn't make bombs..

Add the last half of the nutrient at the 1/3 break. Wait til the ferment gets down to 1.030 or less to rack it to the carboy. When you rack it then, bring at least part of the lees (the gunk on the bottom) with it. If you rack it too early, one of these days there will be a post on here "Why did my wine quit fermenting before going to dry." Have fun and good luck with it, Arne.

Good to know and jotted it down in my log book. Plan to summarize errors, like and dislikes with each batch.

I have to say with the maze of techniques and opinions out there this forum is fantastic and very helpful!

I can't thank everyone enough.

There is no problem letting it go dry in the primary. If you are just covering it with a cloth, I would lock it down at about 1.02 or so. After your SG bottoms out for 2-3 days, rack and top off. I usually wait about a week, then kmeta, (sorbate if you're back sweetening) and let her age a bit before bottling. I'm also in the camp of adding all my nutrients up front before pitching the yeast. There are many ways to get there. Above all, have fun!

aint much I can add you got top advice, I do only country wines, you said you racked off 60%, I will let my apple/pears sit air-locked for a year at least, finings can speed things up but a tasty fruit wine like I like dose as they have said takes time, a lot of time,,,,,
Dawg

Thanks.. I always go to secondary about 1.020 - 1.030, and let her go dry.. rack, stabilize and bulk age. rack every couple months.. I probably bottle way to early because I'm impatient.. But I'm getting better. I am a fruit wine guy, and like them semi to Sweet.. so I back sweeten a week or two before bottling. This lets it clear anything that may have clouded with back sweetening.. and allows for ensuring no rejuvenated fermentation starts. and doesn't make bombs..

Latest posts

Back