Uncrushed berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanick

Junior
Reaction score
Hello to all,
This year, I am doing one batch on Pinot noir 100%, and a second batch 66% cab sauv, 22% merlot and 12% petite Syrah. Got the grapes destemmed and crushed at Our local spot in Montreal, marche Piazza and brought them back home yesterday. Nothing unusual to report for the Pinot Noir (attached picture) but the cab blend however seems to have a lot of uncrushed berries (attached picture #2). Been doing wine for many years, and seems this year might be more than usual. I’ve also been punching the must, and the cab blend seems “tougher” than Pinot noir. I’m wondering if I should do something about it (if yes, any “efficient” Suggestions?). Or once fermentation comes (dropping 1118 yeast tonight), skins should soften, and juice will come out of the grapes ?
Thanks !

Attachments

• 5ED501CC-12CA-4422-8C41-D8C7312D9A0F.jpeg
    5ED501CC-12CA-4422-8C41-D8C7312D9A0F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • A009A700-FF76-4DDD-B637-2F355F5B199A.jpeg
    A009A700-FF76-4DDD-B637-2F355F5B199A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Yeah, i guess it should still ferment. The enzymes is a good suggestion as well, however since I have a wineeasy system, and want to minimize the chance of the bottom clogging a little because of more sediment.
thanks for the response !

You’ll find that uncrushed berries are going to present a tougher punch down. It’s normal. After a few days or so, you’ll notice a stark change in the must. The whole grapes will begin to breakdown and it will seem like a normal or historical ferment - one like you’re familiar with.

Just give it time…

To a fellow wineasy user, don’t fear the berries. As others said, most will open up during fermentation, a number will open up at press, leading to some post press fermentation.

I hear you on the enzymes; did that one year and it was a mucky mess. I also only loaded my 55 gallon wineasy with 20 gallons of must at a time this year and had some really firm pressings.

Hello to all,
This year, I am doing one batch on Pinot noir 100%, and a second batch 66% cab sauv, 22% merlot and 12% petite Syrah. Got the grapes destemmed and crushed at Our local spot in Montreal, marche Piazza and brought them back home yesterday. Nothing unusual to report for the Pinot Noir (attached picture) but the cab blend however seems to have a lot of uncrushed berries (attached picture #2). Been doing wine for many years, and seems this year might be more than usual. I’ve also been punching the must, and the cab blend seems “tougher” than Pinot noir. I’m wondering if I should do something about it (if yes, any “efficient” Suggestions?). Or once fermentation comes (dropping 1118 yeast tonight), skins should soften, and juice will come out of the grapes ?
Thanks !
Typically if this were a commercial wine what could be added is a product called Color Pro which would break down the skins and help to extract juice, it’s about $80 a bottle but keeps several years you can also buy a product called laffort he grand cru in a small I think it’s like 100 gram container for about $30 it does the same thing.
What could help is cold soaking it several days then pitching a yeast and the grapes should break down during fermentation.

To a fellow wineasy user, don’t fear the berries. As others said, most will open up during fermentation, a number will open up at press, leading to some post press fermentation.

I hear you on the enzymes; did that one year and it was a mucky mess. I also only loaded my 55 gallon wineasy with 20 gallons of must at a time this year and had some really firm pressings.

Yes, actually was hesitating on the enzymes because of your experience you shared :)
Was able to get decent pressings last year even though mine are fairly full (like 50 gallons)
Actually, after pressing my 2 x 55gallons, I combined the must from the two in to one and gave a last vacuum press and was able to get a little more out. Still learning on how to use the system, and what considerations are needed (like enzymes)...

@Nebbiolo020 : thanks for the Color Pro suggestion. Will look into it for future ! However I've never had any issues with color of our wine. But good to hear about these !

Yes, actually was hesitating on the enzymes because of your experience you shared :)
Was able to get decent pressings last year even though mine are fairly full (like 50 gallons)
Actually, after pressing my 2 x 55gallons, I combined the must from the two in to one and gave a last vacuum press and was able to get a little more out. Still learning on how to use the system, and what considerations are needed (like enzymes)...

@Nebbiolo020 : thanks for the Color Pro suggestion. Will look into it for future ! However I've never had any issues with color of our wine. But good to hear about these !
The name is a bit weird in that it breaks down the skins of wine grapes and extracts juice and color and softer tannins so it’s name is a bit different from what it actually does. Commercial products in my opinion aren’t always named correctly for what they do. I’ve taken a lot of the commercial process home with me when I’m making batches at home I’ve learned a lot working in a winery that can be scaled down and it has made the wines I’m producing at home much better.

You’ll find that uncrushed berries are going to present a tougher punch down. It’s normal. After a few days or so, you’ll notice a stark change in the must. The whole grapes will begin to breakdown and it will seem like a normal or historical ferment - one like you’re familiar with.

Just give it time…
I agree. I just experienced this exact thing this week!

I used Scottzyme ColorPro last fall with amazing results. I have a bottle in the fridge, just waiting for the new grape to arrive.
Yeah, it isn’t cheap but it keeps and I find it benefits all wines if you can use it. Ive been trying a lot of different products this year, laffort really keeps bothering me to use their products versus what I can get at Scottlabs, might try some more laffort products.

Back