Umm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm making skeeter pee a dust added tannins. Its was sitting there un stirred for an hour. Does it look like this when it absorbs liquid. It was on the bottom.

Attachments

• 20220224_103131.jpg
    20220224_103131.jpg
    834.3 KB · Views: 23
tannin is a brown powder, it will get a little darker but should not be black.

? Does the material feel granular like a coarse grind cloves or pepper? ,, smooth/ greasy? ,,
Its like a dark brown, has to be the tannin, caught me off guard though. I put my 3/4 tsp in and just let it sit. Didnt stir it for a while as I put my yeast starter together. The only thing in the bucket was sugar water and lemon juice.
I didnt touch it but it stirred in with my nutrient addition.
Thinking it just absorbed the liquid, clumped and sank.

I dissolve tannin in a half cup of hot water then pour in liquid. Very hard to get it dissolved. Not all dissolves in first half cup so pour more hot water in cup and mix some more. It adds some water volume to must but I don’t think it would ever dissolve if just adding powder to the must. That’s my experience anyway and yes it turns very dark when mixing in the cup of water.

If the type of tannin you are using is powdered wood, then it won't completely dissolve
No. Cellulose does not dissolve, even if it’s powdered. It’s hard to get the tiny wood particles to even wet properly. In the end it will settle out with the lees.
EDIT: need to read more carefully. Thought you were asking.

Latest posts

Back