Mosti Mondiale UH OH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
So, it's my first All Juice Mosti Kit................

I am 4 days into primary fermentation of Merlot. I checked the gravity and it is 1.012 and 76 degrees.

Time to rack.

My first observation is that a mosti kit might be more than 6
gallons. Instructions said to rack everything including sediment,
so i did. Wine is up to almost the beginning of the neck and
foaming out like crazy. I still had about a quart left in
primary, couldn't add it.

I ran to get a towel, spent some time crossing my fingers it would stop
foaming out of top......It is about 15 minutes later and I now have the
carboy in the tub and it is still foaming.

I plan to wait until it subsides, then put the airlock on. I am
lucky I had a towel handy in the beginning, otherwise my basement would
have been stained red
smiley3.gif

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Are mosti kits more than 6
gallons? Maybe this is why my Original Gravity was only 1.078???

Any ideas? Also, I am under the assumption that since the wine is
foaming out of the top, that I am not in danger of contamination?
I physically won't be able to put an airlock on without it coming
through the airlock, but maybe I should anyway??? advice?

Trubador,

I've had this happen when the Mosti kit notes to add the oak to an empty carboy and then rack the wine and sediment onto the oak. If you have any smaller stoppers, you can store the remainder in a 750mL bottle. (check out the end posts on this topic: http://www.finevinewines.com/wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5870&PN=2)

The original specific gravity reading should only be based on the solids/sugars in the wine, so as long as it was a homogenous reading, it should be fine. When you rack a wine, you introduce some oxygen into the mix and this causes the yeast to get a little bit of a supercharge. In this phase, the sugar is being consumed and CO2 is being exhausted, so when we excite all that, it's kind of like shaking a pop can. For next time, just keep an eye on the level of the receiving carboy as you are racking and don't be afraid to use smaller containers to take up the slack. They can be used for topping up later as well.

To get the level in the carboy down, just use a sanitized wine thief and/or funnel and take it to another container.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

Yhet are typically bigger then 23 liters which is nice so as that you dont have to find something else to top up with later. The downside is that you need to have a 3 liter jug or a magnum and stopper with airlock to keep that extra in but its way better then down sizing later or buying a similar wine to top up with and you really get your moneys worth with these.

I agree that it is nice to have a bit extra....next time I'll know....I
was actually looking around for a small stopper to put on a wine bottle
but couldnt' find one. I need to order a few of these.

On a better note, I attached a brake bleeder to my WE French Merlot
tonight and man o man am I drawing some gas out.....I am so happy I got
the bleeder, no more gas!!!1

Drinking a WE Cab from July 2007 right now. Had gas in it, I let
it sit for 1.5 hours to get gas out. very good actually, it is
just now losing the KT. tonight is the first bottle I tasted
which did not have the KT and I still have plenty of bottles left
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Trubador

Trubador,
Was the Cab bottled in July or was the yeast pitched in July?

We are still getting KT in our WE reds after one year - that is from pitching yeast.

Jack on Rainy said:
Trubador,
Was the Cab bottled in July or was the yeast pitched in July?

We are still getting KT in our WE reds after one year - that is from pitching yeast.

yeast was pitched July 1st. I guess I am about 10 months into the ageing process and KT is gone; I bulk aged it a bit and bottled in October.

It was nice and dry, however, I think it needs abit more oak and a bit more body to be a true Cab., but tasted like a very good table wine to have with dinner or relaxing with an easy drinking red. Overall, I am very happy with it except for the gas bubbles.

A month ago, it tasted the same as above but with a residual sweetness that I would call the KT.

Latest posts

Back