Types of presses

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
Does anyone here use a bladder press? Morewinemaking seems to recommend them but they are pretty expensive. Are they better than rachet basket presses?

Last edited:
Rocco, that'll depend on what you plan on pressing. For grapes only, it's great. I would think certain fruits would benefit from a screw press. A screw press is also much cheaper and you won't have the occasional bladder to replace.

Rocco, that'll depend on what you plan on pressing. For grapes only, it's great. I would think certain fruits would benefit from a screw press. A screw press is also much cheaper and you won't have the occasional bladder to replace.

Thanks! Just so expensive...... I'll probably have to stick w basket press. I'm told less harsh tannins and more even pressing compared to basket though---plus look a lot easier to use

They are more softer/gentler on the grapes and seeds etc. Better design but also as you found out much more expensive plus the bladders need to be replaced now and then.

Bladder presses deliver more surface area contact when pressing, making them more efficient and more gentle.

A friend of mine had one. He was not too careful about sorting his grapes and a nail (from one of the grape crates) managed to puncture the bladder.

He used water to inflate the bladder, so in the end, he did not have a spare bladder, had water leaking all over a working press, and still had several hundred pounds of grapes to process.

If you do get a bladder press, make sure you have a spare bladder on hand (just in case).

as you get older a bladder press will seem a godsend. if fruit are crushed it will work on bladder press. I used to press apples and pears for juice using a bladder press after running them through a apple crusher. if diligent you should not need to replace bladder that often. but if you want to be cautious certainly have one spare.

Google for best pricing. try Craig list etc. I bought mine from St. Patrick of Texas. I believe it is 40 liter size. Make sure you by the nylon bag with it helps in pressing. A winery may have one for sale if they are upgrading to larger one.

Latest posts

Back