Type of Sugar in a recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drez

Reaction score
Sugar is basically food for yeast as I understand it. Thus when a recipe calls for sugar, it shouldn't in theory matter much what type of sugar is used. I'm sure it can affect the taste in some cases, i.e. Brown sugar or honey certainly tasting different from table sugar but the process should be unchanged right assuming the same quantity (i.e. 1kg of turbinado = 1kg of white = 1kg dextrose = 1kg of brown = 1kg of icing sugar = 1.1kg of honey)

Specifically I found a recipe calling for Dextrose but I could not find any at my supermarket, will any sugar do? Will this effect the taste a great deal? Is there a benefit to faster dissolving sugars, perhaps icing sugar over plane white cane sugar?

Thanks!

The sweetening power of honey varies, and I can't help but wonder about the effect of the molasses in the brown sugar.

I figured things like honey and brown sugar would certainly impact flavour, but do they significantly effect fermentation?

I do understand Dextrose may be easier to digest for yeast esp in beer brewing and that this might be the case for other less refined sugars as well but given the variety of recipes simply calling for "sugar" it appears not to be a big concern for wine yeasts. Is that assumption wrong?

Specifically I found a recipe calling for Dextrose but I could not find any at my supermarket, will any sugar do? Will this effect the taste a great deal? Is there a benefit to faster dissolving sugars, perhaps icing sugar over plane white cane sugar?
Dextrose is corn sugar, you might have better chance to find at your local brew shop. I think they ask for dex because it leaves less sediments in your wine.

You can use a different kind (IE Regular sugar) But I would add it gradualy and check my S.G. as I go....

You might also find it at health food stores. Try smaller locally owned, not GNC or the like, they won't have it, besides, it's better to buy local when you can. :h

Always check SG. Different sugars can vary greatly, so you can use say 1 lb of table, or 1 lb of honey and the SG will be different. Other than that, flavor will be affected but that can be a good thing! Play with it if you can't find the dex. But like I said check SG and adjust per recipe.

Awesome, thanks all!

Will do another check at some brew shops or local food stores, if not I'll try with another sugar and measure SG as I go (and report back on how it affects flavour co course!)

Back