two questions: Using concentrate, and using two yeast packets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zule

Reaction score
Two unrelated questions....

1# I have made some wine from some applejuice. Allen's apple juice with 60% vit c (they also sell same juice at 100% vit c). Turned out well. That same juice is on sale again, but this time its 'from concentrate'. But its using the same bottle, same logo, same sku, and even same nutritino facts (well 5 mg more sodium). Should I more or less expect the same results, or is it because its concetrate, something not listed would produce different results?

2# If you are making a batch of high sugar content for high alcoholic content, should you use two packets of yeast so there are more yeast cells? I read a bit of conflicting information on this.

I expect u will have the same result. The sugar origin will never affect the number of cells requested to complete the fermentation. What it is really important is that you can not fermentate a sugar content above a reasonable limit in a easy way, thus it is absolutely better if you measure the density of your must before adding the yeast. I suggest you a little dosage of nitrogenum salts (ammonium sulphate), following the recommended doses on the label.
if you try to fermentate a high sugar content must to reach a high alcohol drink, u need to follow these rules:
1- add a bigger amount of yeast
2- during the reidratation, add a similar amount of died yeast cells (e.g. Genesis native-Oenofrance)
3- water amount is (yeast cell + died cell)x10 = water quantity at 35-40°C / 20-30 min
4- stirr as fast as you can the reidratation water trying to include as much air u can inside the pot = u will increase the sterolic coumpounds production
5- incoculate 10% of the mass with a reduced sugar content and wait for a reasonable fermentation activity (more or less three days), sill adding some air
6- add this 10% to the mass and the fermentation will occour.
7- absolutely feed the yeast: aminoacids and nitrogenum sulphate/phosfate.

good bye

It has more to do with how tolerant a specific culture is to alcohol. But it's hard to get a culture that will go beyond 18%.

apple juice from concentrate should not affect your end results
if the yeast that you use does not have a high tolerance for alcohol the fermentation will stop before it is complete. what is the specific gravity that you will starting at. nominally a sg=1.092 will yield 12% alcohol. you can have an sg=1.100 with a EC1118 yeast and achieve dryness.

Back