Two Primary fermentation questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently, we have a 5 gallon fermenter with a loose fitting lid that we are doing our plum wine in...it is fermenting like crazy, you can actually hear it and see it doing it's thing... We also fermented a wine-kit, late harvest riesling in the same fermenter 2 weeks ago - although it didn't seem to be as "active" as our fresh fruit plum must... It is now in secondary fermentation.

We also have 1 gallon of fresh peach fermenting - yeast was just added yesterday. However, our 1 gallon fermenter has a tight fitting lid -- it actually locks down like a "normal" bucket would do.

So 2 questions:

1) Is it normal for the wine-kit must to not appear "as active" as a fresh fruit must? I know fermentation of the wine-kit riesling occurred during it's primary because of the SG reading, but we never heard the "hissing" like we do with the plum must!

2) For the 1 gallon fermenter, is it best to lock the lid down or should we just fit it loosely over the bucket so the gasses can escape? With the way the plum must is moving and hissing, we're afraid that once the peach must does the same, if the lid is locked down, it will pop off due to pressure! (Maybe that is unlikely, but we're amateurs so we just aren't sure!)

Any insight would be very welcomed!

Thx! Anne

The kit fermentation is normal. I would ferment the peach in a larger container but at the very least leave the lid loose. It may foam over the edges as it is now so get some protection.

Do not seal your primary fermenter. Either leave the lid loose or install an airlock.

I don't think you would need an airlock in your primary fermentation as the yeast needs air to do it's job.

You can also place a towel over the top and use a rubber band to hold it in place. This allows the CO2 to escape and keeps bugs out. After the primary, you need to put a lid on and airlock it off.

Welcome to the forum. I like your name. & I agree with the above posts. We had a motto at work, "the more our customers wHine the more we WINE, only there's no H in our wine!" Roy FightingTown Creek Wines

Different fruits and yeasts may have different appearing ferments. Some are foamy, some are not (depending on the yeast). Some fruits ferment a little bit easier than others (blueberry takes forever). So it may be fermenting at a good rate, but just may not be as visible.

Just make sure you are stirring at least daily (if not more) while in the primary, keep the lids loose to give it oxygen (I generally still keep an airlock in it even with the lids loose to keep the fruit flies out), and you can check the SG to see it's progress.

Good luck! :h

Regarding #1, "the visible signs of fermentation are overrated".

Regarding #1, "the visible signs of fermentation are overrated".

Ditto, always go by your specific gravity, some do ferment more vigorous than others and temp can play a big role in that.

Back