WineXpert Twisted Mist 2012

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerbos5

Reaction score
So I missed the boat on this the last few years but want to try this season, is there any tricks to this one, do you make the same as other Island mist kits where you up the sg with sugar at primary, and then use have the f-Pack, also from what I'm seeing they are splitting up into a combo pack where you have to use 3 gallon carboys....not sure that was the wisest decision on WE part since I'm sure there are quite a few ppl that don't make desert wines, anyway I'm open to suggestions on how to make this better once i have the kit, as I'm sure if I follow the instructions it will be to sweet.

I helped a friend make one of the combo packs...you don't need 3 gallon carboys. You don't add the F-pack until you're ready to bottle, so, after clearing, you just need to rack equally into two buckets, add the f-pack(s), and bottle. This stuff won't be crystal clear when you bottle it...it's not meant to be.

As far as boosting the initial SG...that's a personal preference. For the Twisted Mist kits, I don't think it's needed.

Enjoy, over ice, during the warm months. :D

Peace,
Bob

So it wasn't to sweet when you put the whole f-pack in at the end.....I have done a bunch of island mists and they all would be to sweet, almost jolly rancher -ish if you added everything.

So it wasn't to sweet when you put the whole f-pack in at the end.....I have done a bunch of island mists and they all would be to sweet, almost jolly rancher -ish if you added everything.

These are sweeter than the regular Island Mist kits, so if you think those are too sweet...you'll need to add the F-pack to taste. These kits make a FAB (Flavored Alcohol Beverage), that use wine for a base. The Island Mist kits make a flavored wine. Once your done with the Twisted Mist kit, you can't really taste the wine, just whatever flavor you're making.

Peace,
Bob

I picked up my Twisted Mist Lime Margarita / Hard Pink Lemonade kit yesterday at my LHBS and am starting it today. It came with 2 packets of Red Star Premier Cuvee. The supply list in the instructions notes it comes with a "packet of yeast". Was this a packaging mistake or should I add 2 yeast packets to the primary? Never did that before...

Thanks,
Ann

I picked up my Twisted Mist Lime Margarita / Hard Pink Lemonade kit yesterday at my LHBS and am starting it today. It came with 2 packets of Red Star Premier Cuvee. The supply list in the instructions notes it comes with a "packet of yeast". Was this a packaging mistake or should I add 2 yeast packets to the primary? Never did that before...

Thanks,
Ann

It's not a packaging mistake, you're suppose to use both. I've helped with two of these kits, and both of them came with 2 packets. We only used 1 on the first kit, and it turned out fine. So if you want to save the second packet for another batch, you should be OK.

Peace,
Bob

These are Duo kits so you end up with a batch of Pink Lemonade and a batch of Margarita, you make two different batches of wine not blended together, one yeast package for each one.

a few months ago i picked up a close dated twisted mist strawberry margarita kit on clearance my my lhbs from last years release....i opened that one up, and it also had 2 packets of yeast as well and it wasn't a combo pack...

These are Duo kits so you end up with a batch of Pink Lemonade and a batch of Margarita, you make two different batches of wine not blended together, one yeast package for each one.

Actually that's false, you don't add the F-packs until it's time to bottle, that's the only time you need split the wine into 3 gallon batches, until then you treat it just like a regular 6 gallon kit. You can ferment two 3 gallon batches, but there's really no point, it's the same wine until you add the F-packs.

Peace,
Bob

Actually that's false, you don't add the F-packs until it's time to bottle, that's the only time you need split the wine into 3 gallon batches, until then you treat it just like a regular 6 gallon kit. You can ferment two 3 gallon batches, but there's really no point, it's the same wine until you add the F-packs.

Peace,
Bob

got ya. thats what I get for reading the promo lit.:ft

I'm in the final stage of a Twisted Mist Lime Margarita kit.

I contacted WineExperts about the 2 yeast packets and the reply I got was that from their experience
using 2 packets of yeast works well.

I started the kit on the 14th and it was ready for secondary ferment at 1.010 on the 20th.

I checked it yesterday, the 28th and it was at .994 already. Checked again today and the same.

I added the metabisulfite and sorbate packs and isinglass per instructions.

Here it sits only 3 hours later and already has a 1/4" of clear wine at top of carboy!

I keep it in the upper 70s for temps and it seemed to move along at a fast pace.

This kit also came with 2 f-pack bags that they say to use both of.
I think I will add 1 than taste as I add more to see if it needs all of both bags or not.

Hoping for a great tasting margarita beverage!

Turned out AWESOME! Was a huge hit at our Cinco De Mayo party!

Would definitely make this kit again!

Roy: when you stabilized and fined, during the clearing process did it have a bit of a haze to it or become crystal clear, and then hazing after f-pack was added?

Just put some supr-kleer in mine and waiting...just curious so I know what to look for....thanks :b

It cleared pretty clear..... Adding fpack definetly gave it that non see through margarita look.

With the consistency of the fpack, I don't think it would go clear with it in.

Well I think its finally happened out of about 40 kits I got my first stuck fermentation on a new twisted mist kit, I did two of them at the same time to get 30 bottles of both Lime margarita, and pink lemonade, one is done and ready to F-pack, the other is sitting at 1.010 and wont budge, I have a brew belt on it wrapped in beach towel for the last week, I went and got some yeast energizer about 4 days ago, and added and it wont budge, starting to think this thing is done, the starting sg was 1.093 or thereabouts. 1) is this normal for that high of an sg? 2) Any other suggestions on getting this thing restarted. 3) Should I just add F-pack and call it good?......thanks for all the help. :h

I had the same thing happen with this kit. Mine stuck in secondary at 1.01. I also hit it with energizer and nutrient and a brew belt, but it went nowhere. So I stabilized and it's clearing now.

Back