WineXpert Trying to decide on my next wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el wino

Reaction score
Hello everyone .I am trying to decide on what wine kit to purchased next.
I wanna try a Barolo or just another full bodied wine kit.I have a cab/sauvignon clearing at this time.And a merlot also clearing.I like full bodied wines as my wife does too.Can some one tell more about other full bodied wine choices that you would recommend.And give some insight on there character,bouquet....etc..(lunna rosso).....thanks

Hi El Wino!

Welcome to the forum!! I just started making wine towards the end of October and here is my two cents: (BTW, I love a full-bodied red)

My first kit was the WE Barbaresco. I am waiting for it to age, but I have friends who have made this and it is wonderful! I also have the Super Tuscan bottled, but refuse to touch it for a year. I have heard the Lodi Old Vine Zin is great.

My advice would be to do two kits if you can swing it. Why? Because you will want to drink it soon. Do an "upscale" kit like the above mentioned, and then do a VR or try the new World Vineyard kit. I made the California Trinity and it is wonderful!!! A quick kit (but with more juice than the VR at the same cost!).

I started a Mosti Mondiale Amarone, which is still in the holding stage!!

Goodluck!

Francie

Thank you Francie,I enjoy the forum.Everyone is so helpful.I am new to wine making so I have alot of questions to ask.I love Shiraz Waldo as a matter of fact I have a VR australian shiraz kit idled on the shelf that I have not started.I have a feeling that I will not like the finished wine.I read that it lacks body and its thin.I did the cab/sauvignon first because my wife perferred it over a shiraz.Then i purshased the VR shiraz without having done any research on it.I am begining to understand the high-in wine kits will probablybe the ones that Iwill be leaning towards.Thank you Francie and Waldo....

El wino, if you have a very demanding taste you might not be satisfied with the shiraz but... The first kit I made was the VR Australian Shiraz. After I boght the kit and started it, I bought a $15 bottle of Australian Shiraz to see what it would be like. To me it was horrible. It tasted like mud. My wife took a sip and spit it out. Not wanting to waste it Itried to drinkthe rest trying to aquire a taste for it. I tried diluting it, but just couldn't get into it(i tried a little for a few days). I ended up dumping it out. I was very discouraged, but kept going with the kit tasting as I went. It just kept tasting better the longer it fermented. After it was bottled and aged a month or so I gave a couple bottles away and everybody loved it. After a year it was really good. I liked it so much I made another batch.

My point is, don't depend on someone elses opinion about lack of body or taste. It is very subjective . You have already spent your money on it. Make the kit. Your wife might like it if you find it too thin. Even if it isn't your favorite, it will be drinkable as table wine.

Well you have a piont there appleman.I will start it and see for myself as to its complexity.7.5 litrs.isn't alot of juice to make 6-gallons,but like you said the money is spent on it already.I will brew it.......thanks.if that shiraz you dump was a Lindemens i understand why you did that......gil

The crushendo syrah looks like a very nice wine.

I think that will be my next kit.

smiley32.gif

smiley32.gif

Latest posts

Back