Seeking recommendations on 'good' kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_jeeps

Reaction score
I've decided venture from my 'beginning with fresh grapes' approach to trying a wine kit. In the past, I've tried a few wine expert concentrated juice only kits (melot, cabs) and while there were OK, they lacked a certain body that only grape skins can provide.

I did some searching and found, in general, favorable endorsements of RJSpagnols kits. There are others but IDK how they compare.

So my question is basically, what kits that contain grape skins do you think are very good? Assume cost is not a consideration (but I am cost conscience) and that I am primary interested in reds (merlot, cab, but open to other varietals)
More specifically, what kit would you endorse for a Merlot? a Cab? Other that you think is exceptional?
I am assuming that kits with skins would tend to produce the best result - if this is a bad assumption, please suggest a product that I should consider.
Thanks!
j

If you've done some fermentations before, you likely know the basics. And for the best possible results, your idea of starting with grapes is correct. I don't know kits and can't recommend any, but I can recommend real frozen grapes from Wine Grapes Direct. They have an associated adjuncts pack which is yeast, nutrients, and oak, that makes it about as close to a kit as possible. You would only need to rig up a bucket press and you're in business with real grapes.

I just looked back at their website and they have some frozen 2019 grapes at a decent price. Don't know where you are but shipping will add to your costs but same with a wine kit.

Wine Grapes Direct

I made the RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan last year and like it so much that I just started another batch. It has 2 bags of grape skins.

I have RJS En Primeur Australian Cabernet Sauvignon and RJS En Primeur Amarone that have been bulk aging for about 8 months and 6 months respectively. The Amarone tasted quite good early, but the Cab will need more time.

You specified reds (and that's how I thought as well), but I tried an RJS En Primeur Winemaker's Trio White that really made me broaden my thinking a bit. It's dry, fruity, and has good body--not thin like some whites I object to. Bottled and drank it pretty close to day 56 and it was very enjoyable to my wife and I. Juice only with this one. Just started another Trio White today and can't wait to see if it gets even better with time as people claim.

We have 2 of the RJS Cru International kits--Sangovese and Chilean Malbec that are ok early, but will allow more aging. These 2 kits had dried grape skins as compared to the wet skins on the En Primeur kits. They're also cheaper.

I also have an RJS En Primeur Granache past the 56 day window so am officially bulk aging it as well.
Finally, started an RJS En Primeur Winemaker's Trio Red today--zero reviews. Just figured I liked the Trio White so why not the Trio Red. This kit also had 2 bags of wet skins and included 2 bags of powdered American Oak.

It looks Like I'm an RJS snob but I do want to delve into the WinExpert upper end kits to compare, and I've done some cheap kits from other brands as well.

Good luck with your hobby and hope you have fun with it.

I made the RJS En Primeur Super Tuscan last year and like it so much that I just started another batch. It has 2 bags of grape skins.
I've seen a lot of good reviews on this one and have it on my short list to try. How long do you think you have to wait for the Super Tuscan to taste good to you?

IMHO, the only kit that approaches the level of grape winemaking is made by Mosti Mondial, the line is called Mrglioli. These kits are 100% pure varietal juice (23 L worth, no water added), with grape pack(s), and typically premium oak if appropriate. I’ve made every high end kit I could find, these were the best. Bear in mind,you won’t be drinking this wine for years, as they req several years to mature. Just one has been kit makers opinion, FWIW.

Mike Parisi said:

I've seen a lot of good reviews on this one and have it on my short list to try. How long do you think you have to wait for the Super Tuscan to taste good to you?

I started drinking it about a month after bottling. It was already pretty good. But letting some of it age past a year.

Wow, thank you all for the replies. I guess I should have considered/stated how long to wait for drink-ability.
I typically wait at least 1 year for my reds that I do from fresh grapes, so I'd expect the same time for a kit product.
OTOH, I am low on bottles from my previous years, so something drinkable in 5-6 months would be desirable.

I appreciate the note about the whites. I've considered going off in this direction but...have never done whites before, so I am leery about doing a 5gal batch. I see WineXperts has a 1 gal small batch chardonay and am wondering how well that would turn out. Comments? Any better small batch alternatives?

Lastly - I just got a flyer from a local supplier that they are getting their Chilean juice buckets within the next 2 weeks. Any comments about getting skins to mix with the juice? if advisable, where to get skins?
Thanks again for the valuable input from the group!
J

Back