RJ Spagnols trying something new..........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
Thinking that the next wine I order from George will be one of the RJ Spangols products, that includes the grape skins. I have only made Winexpert and Mosti Mondiale kits so far.

Thinking of a Super Tuscan. Anyone make this one that can offer some comments as to its taste, mouthfeel, body, etc....Or for that matter, anyone make the cabernet with skins that can offer comments?

I have made almost everyone of these Winery series kits and the 1's I havent Ive either made the Cru Select version of or the En Primuer. These all have very good alc content great body and mouthfeel. IMO, these all produce a $25or better bottle of comparable commercial wine. I think of the Winery series the Super tuscan is the best and you could really smell and taste the Sangiovese in there very nicely. I have not made a Cellar Craft kit or MM meg kit but will say that i like these way better then any W.E. kits

do these kits come with a mesh bag to put the grapes in? Or do the grapes get stirred into the primary and have to be filtered out later?

they come with a mesh bag (Hops sack), however, I'd suggest a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer instead. This way the skins have much more contact surface area, without the messy cleanup of floating them in the juice.

paint strainer! I would have never thunk. I'll give it a shot
smiley1.gif

These are made of nylon and are OK to use in the wine? I assume I would spraythe bag with K-meta before putting the grapes in? I'm a total newbie to using grape skins.

also, any general advice for a grape pack newbie? Here's what I'm thinking.

Grapes go in strainer bag. Then I squeeze bag while soaking in the must. Then daily pushing bag around inside fermenter with spoon for the 14 days in the primary along with stirring of all the wine and oakin fermenter.
Then, prior to racking to secondary, pull out straining bag and squeeze as much wine out that I can.

Then finally rack to secondary.

sound right? anything to add or take away from process?

Its been awhile since I've done a Spagnols kit but that sounds like you are on track for most grape pack kits so you should be fine. I never use the straining bags, takes less effort for me to rack around the grapes and such then trying to get the darn things in the straining bag.
VPC

If you plan on using a spigot on the primary I suggest using a fermenting bag. I go without now and use a small strainer and scoop them out!

I will be using an auto siphon to rack to secondary. Also, it seems RJ Spagnols has us keep the wine in the primary for 14 days. Given that, I am under the assumption that when racking to secondary, an attempt should be made to rack as little sediment/lees over to the secondary as possible.

Using a strainer and also the stirring and squeezing of the bag of grapes, doesn't that lead to racking over more sediment to the secondary then wanted?

don't worry about sediment. I do what I call "Agressive racking" and do not worry about sediment in the slightest. I don't go looking for it, but I also don't stop racking until my tube looks like it's full of mud too. The clarifiers take care of any sediment pretty quick.

I also always get 30 bottles out of any kit, usually with a glass of wine to spare too.

These grape pack kits have a tendency to throw sediment for a long time though. This is why I bulk age for a year. I always filter too, yet still my bottles *all* have sediment in them. Much like any bordeaux I open up, there will be sediment because there is so much total dissolved solids in the wine. You can minimize this by going beyond day 42 to possibly day 126 or beyond.

when wade talks about using a strainer, does that mean physically putting the strainer into the bucket and "scooping" out the grapes?Are the majority of the grapes floating at the top at the day14 period?

he means scooping, and no, the majority is on the bottom after 14 days. They also absorb a lot of liquid and make it hard to get all the wine out, which is why I use a paint strainer. I get the same loose action as if they were loose, and I get easy cleanup. Double win in my case. It also makes it much easier to squeeze those skins out when they are contained.

Mine seem to float pretty much so scooping is just as you mentioned. It is a little bit more trouble so I would get a bag. I use the bags supplied normally and just get my sanitized hands in there often. Im a hands on kind of guy and like to use what comes free to me.

I just bought this one recently based on a quick taste that I had at my LHBS. The kit was very new and still in their stainless tank. The pepper one was really pronounced. I had no intention of buying this, but after the taste, I was in!

wade said:
Mine seem to float pretty much so scooping is just as you mentioned. It is a little bit more trouble so I would get a bag. I use the bags supplied normally and just get my sanitized hands in there often. Im a hands on kind of guy and like to use what comes free to me.

sanitized hands......I am assuming that I spray k-meta all over my hands, wait a minute and then I'm good to stick them in the wine????

Trubador said:
.... Also, it seems RJ Spagnols has us keep the wine in the primary for 14 days.

It depends on which RJ Spagnols you are making. The lower end kits (Grand Cru) call for 14 days in primary.

In the past month, I have made 4 high end kits (2 Cellar Classic Winery Series and 2 En Primeur). The instructions call for seccondardy fermentation in carboy on about day 6-8.

Robert

It was the SuperTuscan. I don't have a ton of experience with kits, but the few that I have done are higher end ones with grape packs. As a 'new' wine, this one was more impressive to me than any of the other kits I have tried. No idea how it will change over time, but I assume time will only improve it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Dean,
The paint strainer was a GREAT idea. I just moved my RJ Cru from the primary to secondary and there was no muss or fuss involved!! Was great to be able to remove so much of the skins and other big sediment VERY easily! Took a quick taste and was tempted to get out a bigger glass (or bottle) for a real drink. This is only my third wine but I can tell it is going to be the best so far. Can't wait for this one!!!!

Back