WineXpert Trying something different

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCal1952

Reaction score
Hi all!
Hope everyone is having fun and success with their wine making?

I am into my 3rd batch of wine since buying the FastFerment Vessel and decided to make 2 changes. First, I am a huge fan of the Nebbiolo grape so I always have made Barolo. The first change I made is I am now trying a Sangiovese. The other change I am making is that I am using Oak Spirals and Super Smooth to get my oak in there. I didn't use the oak chips and powder that come with these kits because the FastFerment sometimes clogs when "racking" I hope this info is useful to those who use a vessel. I know a lot of you stick to the carboy method, but with my back, the vessel for me is the way to go. I am very happy with the wine I have produced.
Well! Cheers!

The other change I am making is that I am using Oak Spirals and Super Smooth to get my oak in there. I didn't use the oak chips and powder that come with these kits because the FastFerment sometimes clogs when "racking"

One purpose of oak powder at the time of pitching yeast is to provide sacrificial tannins so the grape tannins can stabilize the wine color.

Would putting your chips or dust in a straining bag of some sort before dropping it in the FFV help?

I guess it would, but I have talked to a few who use the FastFerment and they said that in 6 weeks time these spirals give off more flavor and tannins than the powders provided. We'll see! Thanks for the input.

One purpose of oak powder at the time of pitching yeast is to provide sacrificial tannins so the grape tannins can stabilize the wine color.

You are absolutely correct. But from what I heard about the spirals is that they are designed to do the exact same thing in a shorter time frame. I can't bulk age wine in a FastFerment. It isn't designed for that. Primary fermentation is completed in 5-7 days, then you wait 10 more days, clarify the wine, degas, and bottle. All the aging is in the bottle. I( have produced some real nice Barolo's with this unit but this is the first time I am using the spiral oak. We'll see!

Latest posts

Back