Tried an idea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrologica

Junior
Reaction score
Bought a gallon of apple cider, split it between 2 4L jugs, dissolved 32oz brown sugar in hot (on stove) water, split between jugs, waited a day then added 1122 yeast, 2 nights later added airlocks. Not sure what we're gonna end up with but it looks n smells delish. Ideas? Comments?

djrockinsteve said:
Get it in an open container so it can breath. You'll get an apple wine.

It was breathing from wednesday night til last night. Three nights. Now the airlocks are bubbling. I thought too much time uncovered was bad. What's the time on grape wine vs apple wine as far as how long before you airlock it? Hope I didn't mess this up.

Did you check the SG, that may tell you when it has fermented enough to put under an airlock?

There is no difference between grape or apple, fermentation needs oxygen, it is after fermentation that you need to get it under airlock. Did you take a hydrometer reading before fermentation? And what is it now? You can add the airlock once fermentation gets below 1.010.

Newbie mistake: I've been airlocking after a day or two with the exception of the watermelon which we immediately air locked after adding the sugar and yeast mixture. It bubbled like crazy for two weeks. So realistically what can I expect to end up with after only letting it breath for one or two days?

As your must ferments the yeast give off CO2 which is heavier than air. This protects your must during fermentation. The yeast need to breath which is why you stir often to introduce oxygen to the must.

You are also moving around nutrients and sugars important to a healthy fermentation. Once fermentation slows (@1.010 and lower) some but not everyone will either snap on a lid with an airlock or rack to a Carboy. If you rack to a Carboy you must transfer all or the majority of the sediment otherwise you risk a stalled or greatly slowed fermentation.

I prefer to wait till must reaches 1.000 then add 1 teaspoon of super ferment (like vitamins) to my 6 gallons of must, stir it very well kicking up much CO2 then immediately snap on a lid with an airlock. This creates a nice layer of CO2 on the almost wine.

3 days later (based on past) these juices are fully fermented and ready to clear. There is no stirring during that time allowing the gross lees (sediment) to fall to the bottom.

From here I rack leaving these lees behind.

Definitely use a hydrometer and the correct yeast. Hope this helps.

As much as I hate to admit it, there's no way around the 5gallon bucket. I had the only bucket occupied so I reyeasted and left in the 4L jugs with just cloth on top but fermentation just didn't want to happen. The one is now fermenting and the other just refuses to do anything but tiny bubbles (champaine sized...very tiny). The one has the airlock bubbling but the slow one just might turn out badly. Thank you for your help. Lord knows I need it.;)

take the airlocks off, you don't need them right now, the one that seems to be slow have you been checking it with hydrometer? bubbling in an airlock does tell you if fermentation is still going on or if it has stopped.

I'm thinking impatience is my problem. I just want to see crazy bubbling and then be done and ready for racking. This is definitely going to teach me patience.:D Back to removing airlocks...

I'm thinking impatience is my problem. I just want to see crazy bubbling and then be done and ready for racking. This is definitely going to teach me patience.:D Back to removing airlocks...

roflmao, I'm bettin everyone on here has done the same thing, I know I'm guilty!!!:tz :b

Latest posts

Back