trellis installation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Gripples thing got be one of the best tools man ever invented. Connecting two piece of wire couldn't be any easier. The tensioning tool is easy to use, strong yet light. No more hard bending or tight looping ( tight looping a 12.5 gauge, seriously?)
14249092309_be287782b6_b.jpg

Berrycrush, Grapeman - I see that you both have put landscape fabric down along your rows. I think I read somewhere (here or a book) that mulching around the vines could be bad for my area. I live about an hour straight east of Minneapolis and we definitely get some cold weather (last year was extreme) and unpredictable springs. What I had read is that it could lead to pre-warming of the soil, early bud break, and increase the chance of freezeout due to late frosts. I would like to do this to keep everything neat and tidy looking but would you recommend it for my area?

Thanks!

I have wire, I have gripples on order. Now all I need are my posts. Been waiting for two months and the supplier has not answered any of our calls. Too bad they threw away a big order. Finally found a new supplier that will deliver within the week.

LittleBear the plastic mulch I used was to prevent too much weed competition in the establishment years and will come up afterwards. I don't think the little extra heat would be enough to worry about. You can compensate for any early push by delaying pruning which holds them back a bit in the spring.

I know exactly what you mean by the supplier. I have one who I ordered 3 display racks from a month and a half ago. They have been paid already and they are really close to receiving a very bad review from me on these forums if they don't ship soon.

Berrycrush, Grapeman - I see that you both have put landscape fabric down along your rows. I think I read somewhere (here or a book) that mulching around the vines could be bad for my area. I live about an hour straight east of Minneapolis and we definitely get some cold weather (last year was extreme) and unpredictable springs. What I had read is that it could lead to pre-warming of the soil, early bud break, and increase the chance of freezeout due to late frosts. I would like to do this to keep everything neat and tidy looking but would you recommend it for my area?

Thanks!

The silver plastic mulch keeps the soil cooler, maybe too much cooler this year when the spring comes late. Most vines showed no sign of bud breaking until three weeks after planting, which worried me a little.

Kay remember that the higher the fruit production, the closer you need to monitor for potentiaql disease, etc. Top Wire Cordon (High Wire) would be a good compromise. Both Frontenac and Marquette are vigorous growers and have a fairly trailing habit so they are well adapted to a top wire. It is easy to visualize and implement. Just "comb" the shoots downward while separating them. It is easy and quick. A GDC just gives you two high wire fruiting zones. If you implement that type, get as much distance as you can between the wires. Thoughts?

I would also add that shoot thinning and leaf pulling around the fruiting zone is important to allow for air flow for disease management. Here in NC and VA, much research is being done to validate this but it shows a lot of promise.

I have 2/3 of my vineyard h-braces and twc wires done in one day. I can definitely say gripples are the best things ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Agri Supply

I also used Wire-Vise tensioners, love them, easy to use and cheap. You can get them at Agri Supply including the 12.5 high tensile wire , both at a good price. Check them out at www.AgriSupply.com.
Good luck.

Hans
I too got my Wire-vise tensioners and wire there, great quality and price. I wish that I had found them earlier!!!

Hans

www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Back