Traveling with carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I will need to travel with a couple of carboys this summer and I need advice. I will be getting juice in florida and I will ferment it down there. After about a month, I will need to transport it to Alabama. I will pack them in plastic bins with cushioning and probably put each in a large garbage bag.

As far as bungs, I am considering using the waterless airlocks as opposed to the water airlocks. Would that be a good idea. I have never used waterless airlocks.

Thanks

I moved 12 carboys from N. Ga to florida 2 yrs ago. Had some in milk crates, others secured between those crates. All had 3 piece water air locks on them, I did use packing tape to hold the air locks & bungs in it worked GREAT. No issues at all. Roy ps did wrap with towels to keep the sun off them.

Please note that it is illegal in the State of Alabama to transport more than 10 gallons of wine or beer, for any one event.

See section (c) here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/financ...manufacture-of-alcohol-state-statutes.aspx#AL

Be careful about traffic laws and speed limits. The fine/penalty is pretty stiff. I know someone who went to TN and bought beer because no sales were allowed on Sunday in her AL county. When she was stopped she had 5 cases. They charged her and I think she got hit for a $1,000 fine, plus lawyer and court costs.

The violation is a Class B misdemeanor, which carries a maximum sentence of 6 months in prison and/or maximum $3,000 fine.

Last edited:
I'm moving some this weekend (local move). I have solid stoppers for all of them and will secure them with 'painters tape'.

Back