Transfer Pumps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coriasco

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Marchisio pump model EEM20 which pumps 37liters per minute. I purchased it from a place who supplies all of the local wineries and many from far away.I asked the owner if the pump was safe for wine and he told me that it is the only pump he sells and that Bronze is made of different alloys than Brass and it was perfectly safe to use with wine. Does anyone know if that is true, because I read that you should not use Brass with wine because it contaminates the wine.

I wouldn't worry about contamination from bronze. What you are probably referring to is the fact that it contains small amounts of lead in the alloy. The amount used is small and it becomes an integral part of the alloy, much as fillings in teeth. Once combined, it becomes safe. Lead/silver fillings are still being used. Also the wine merely passes through the pump and contact time is minimal. The molecules wouldn't have time to attach to the wine in any quantity to become unsafe.

How much wine are you making now that you need a transfer pump? Also a quick question. Is the pump self priming or do you need to start the flow first before pumping?

I make around 40to 60 gallons a year and I am just tired of racking and lifting those carboys and demijons. The pump is self priming and it can be run run with no damage. The impeller is also made of bronze. Thank you for the feedback.
The beauty part of a transfer pump is that you do not have to move any vessells that are full or empty when transferring, you insert the hoses and pump away. It is going to make racking for me much more enjoyable and less physical.

Correction the pump can be run dry without any damage, previously I wrote run run. It is self priming.

Back