tracking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
Just a question ... other then tagging the bottles ... does anyone track their kits with aspreadsheet,online or something else?

I started using a free online calender http://www.my.calendars.net/winelogbut was wondering if there was something better?

Thanks

Not here just a simple tag from Staples on the carboy. I can fit all info on there even when I bulk age to a year with all the rackings and additions.
Dandelion.jpg

I use the tags that Wade uses (thanks for the idea Wade), but I also keep a spread sheet because sometimes I can't read my shorthand and I experiment a lot. I also try hard to keep good notes in the spread sheet so I can repeat my successes and reduce the failures.
VC

I use the tags that Wade uses (thanks for the idea Wade), but I also keep a spread sheet because sometimes I can't read my shorthand and I experiment a lot. I also try hard to keep good notes in the spread sheet so I can repeat my successes and reduce the failures. I also have about 4 back ups - just in case!
VC

20090929_183214_DSC02289.jpg

As a newbie and a Chemist for 28 years I am used to keeping a good Lab Notebook so thats what I use for detailed notes. I also use iCal (Apple) to send me reminders via (email and my iPhone) on when I need to do simple things like transfer, stir oak, add K-Meta etc.

So far it seems to be working out well for this newbie!

that's my problem ... I like the simple tags ... and I like the detail tracking

To contrast with ibglowin, I stick a big piece of masking tape on the fermenter and write notes with a sharpie. I move the tape when I transfer the wine and, when it's done, I stick it in a notebook or on one of the boxes of bottles.

Not exactly elegant, but at least a step or two away from total chaos...

Ha!

The rest of my life is probably 2 steps away from total chaos with (in no particular order) a wife, 3 kids, 4 cats, a Golden Retriever, oh yea and a full time job....

This I have under control!
smiley36.gif

I do also keep all recipes on my computer and save them in my email file folder so I can retrieve them from any computer anywhere and never have to worry about hardrive crash.

rhoffart, I use a spreadsheet with Excel. It tracks the brand, type of wine, when I started the kit, when I bottled and how many bottles I filled.
THEN, I use a notebook for the dates of events, ingredients used, addition of clarifiers, and any tweaking I may have done.
This notebook is especially critical if you branch out to fruit wines or meads.
smiley36.gif

Mike, oo oo, good idea on using the ical!!!! I can put my iphone to use for reminders on when to transfer, stir, etc.

BTW, I will be at a UAV conference in Dec inNM. Maybe if we are close enough we could trade a couple of bottles of wine.
smiley4.gif

Would love to!

Everything is still in carboy but my 2 whites (PG and a Chard) should be ready to bottle by then.
smiley1.gif

I am close to Santa fe.

Back