Tough start to Meyer Lemon SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky

Reaction score
I started my Meyer Lemon PEE a couple days ago. I used the slurry from my 1G Scuppernong wine, nothing. I took the slurry when I still have 5 brix remaining on the scuppernong. Added additional yeast last night and still nothing. I'll wait for a day or two.

Just curious, you think the yeast variety could be the difference between successful SP ferment and not. Right now, I've tried 71B.

John

Are you making this with fresh lemon juice? Fresh juice often has more problems fermenting than bottled juice with preservatives in it does.

Fresh from the garden. It's a 3 gallon batch. A couple hours ago, I check the temperature and it read 70. I'm trying to raise the tempature to 75 and see if that improves things.

Usually temperature isn't a problem down in Houston but this isn't your ordinary wine. It's a little more sensitive that anything I've tried to date.

John

Try pulling some of this must and some slurry from the bottom if you can and dilute it down some with water to lower the acid down and see if that sample gets going and then slowly start adding more of the higher acid must!

Last edited:
Woke this morning and there is some very slight activity.
Just stole some slurry and diluted it with some warm water and dash of sugar.

Let's see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back