Topping-Off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyB

Junior
Reaction score
As usual, here is my preemptive apology for asking newbie questions.
Making a WE Limited Edition South African Cab. Primary fermentation went well and racked to a 6-gallon glass carboy. It is now time to Stabilize and clarify the Cab.

Now, no offense to anyone, but after the degassing and addition of the Clarifying additions, I will have to "Top off" the carboy to eliminate excessive 02. At this time, the only way to Top-off is by utilizing a purchased cab, which seems to almost be like cheating. Granted, there is a considerable amount of brewed concentrate in the carboy so it may dilute enough of the purchased Cab to not matter. If so, Ok. But could I rack to a 5 gallon carboy at this stage or will I loose too much of the sediment that I won't get a good clarification?

We need more posts so that I don't look like I'm flooding the board with my questions!
Thanks

Randy, dont worry about asking questions but rather worry about not asking and making a mistake and then asking us how to fix it. What you can do is stir it up and then rack to 5 gallon carboy and the rest to 3 liter or what have it. I dont know how short you are from the 6 gallon carboy but if its 1-2 bottles then you would never know you added anything. Anything more then that and it might show through and the cost will not be worth it anyway especially if you have a smaller carboy. Please dont fret about the questions. unlike other forums we here actually thrive on doing some work.

I had to add about a bottle and a half of wine to my SA Cab.

Racking to a 5-gallon carboy is certainly option. I do that with many of the 10-liter kits so I have some extra wine to top up the limited edition kits.

Easiest of all is to use the inert air that FVW sells. Its called Private Reserve. When you buy it, it feels like an empty can because its full of air! A couple of squirts into the carboy displaces the O2.

Adding sanitized marbles will also displace wine but it takes a lot of marbles.

If you add store bought wine to the carboy you'll always wonder how good the wine would have been if you hadn't added it.

Wayne

I have been on several dozen boards, as I'm a man with many hobbies, but none have been as responsive as this one. Thanks again.

Wctisue, I notice your sig is in San Antonio, I can see the new Cowboy stadium from my upstairs deck. If we only could put a team in it, my property value might just go up!

Randy, ask any question at any time!!! I have asked so many question here and they haven't kicked me off yet.
smiley36.gif

As Wade said, you can rack to a 5 gal carboy. I have done both actually and it is really a "mind set". Rack to a 5 gal carboy and you may lose some wine. OR, rack to 6 gal. and top off with a commercial cab or water.
I don't feel it is cheating by adding a commercial cab. I added a liter to my chard and probably could have racked to a 5 gal.

So, it is personal choice.

By the way, your choice of the WE limited edition sounds like it is going to be awesome!!!

Welcome to the Forum!!!
smiley4.gif

I often rack down to 5 gallons after degassing/stabilizing. I put the extra inapprop size containersthat I have bungs to fit (half gallon jugs, mason jars, etc) and when clear I siphon off the clear and bottle it. Then I have some either for topup of another wine or for an early taster. I even go a step farther and after the wine in the carboy clears, I pourit up, let it settle a day or two (doesn't take long to clear again), siphon off the clear and bottle it. I don't waste any of it.

I also love the Private Preserve. I've been using it for a couple of years both in carboys and individual bottles that aren't full enough.

Jackie, I have been curious about the Private Reserve stuff. Is it easy to use? Does it last? Meaning if I have a 1/2 bottle of wine leftover, does it keep the o2 out?

Hi Randy, welcome to a great forum!

It might be of interest to you that Winexpert allows for up to nearly a liter of water to be added to the wine at the stabilize/clarification stage. Personally I add 1/2 liter of water and the rest is usually my early red kits which were VR kits. I am very pleased with my results so far and I've only been fermenting for a year.

Latest posts

Back