Topping Off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip20

Junior
Reaction score
I I have moved my blueberry and niagra wine to racking I have considerable airspace in a 3 Gallon and 3 Gallon container respectively. I am missing about 1/2 gallons in each.

Will this be okay? If nto any recommendations on topping them off? With what?

Thanks n advance.

I I have moved my blueberry and niagra wine to racking I have considerable airspace in a 3 Gallon and 3 Gallon container respectively. I am missing about 1/2 gallons in each.

Will this be okay? If nto any recommendations on topping them off? With what?

Thanks n advance.

Hi kip20,

Are they still fermenting? If so both wines are fine, if they are done fermenting and you are planning on backsweetening do that now and that would probably fll the empty space, if the wine is done completely then you will need to use a like wine and top up with that.

In the future when you ask a question, if would help if you post your recipe and what steps you had completed.

I have a Muscadine wine that I am degassing now. What would be good to top it off with after I add the sorbate and finings?

I have a Muscadine wine that I am degassing now. What would be good to top it off with after I add the sorbate and finings?

Since you are adding sorbate, I would assume that you are backsweetening. When I backsweeten, I pull some of the wine out warm that up and add sugar until disolved, there is a good chance that once you do this you will not need to top up.

Thanks Julie for the quick reply. Both were made from fruit, crushed and pressed. Both through secondary fermentation and have been racked. The Blueberry twice. In both cases, I have lost lots while moving.

NIAGARA GRAPE WINE/6 Gallons
12-15 lbs fresh Niagara grapes
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
3/4 tsp yeast nutrient
Red Star wine yeast

* added a local Niagara to top this off since posting the message. Couldn't find a blueberry to top of the blueberry yet but will find one tomorrow from a local winery.

BLUEBERRY WINE/3 Gallons
3 tsp acid blend powder
½ tsp Energizer powder
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme Powder
1 crushed Campden Tablet

Last edited:
Hey Kip welcome to the forum. How about going to the introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself and what all you're making or want to make. You're are plenty close enough to get involved as we often get together with the group from Pittsburgh and plenty of others from NW PA. Are you getting any juice from the wineries or Walkers as they are in your backyard practically.

If you still have left over head space, I heard of a guy who will fill up with glass marbles until the right amount of liquid has been displaced. Other than that, you can always use a matching wine or one that won't change the flavor too much. Problem here is that when you use the store bought, the $$ per bottle starts to creep higher.

Mark

If I don't want to bottle the whole 5 gal batch, I use one gal jugs with airlocks and drink any overages........:db........by the time you finish those left over's, there are no more worry's

Topping off question

Runningwolf, Gr8zins, 1ChuckGauthier,

Thanks for the replies. The blueberries came from the backyard the Niagara's from a neighbor down the street who couldn't pick a few of his vines.

It is my first attempt although I remember my uncle showing me how about...er many years ago.

I have already started topping off with like wines. Someone else suggested sugar water as an additional top-off candidate. But the climbing $$ are worth it to save my first attempt.

Would like to start my own vines in the backyard but there are plenty of grapes to be had here....everywhere.

But....1ChuckGauthier....that's a fine solution also....

Since you are adding sorbate, I would assume that you are backsweetening. When I backsweeten, I pull some of the wine out warm that up and add sugar until disolved, there is a good chance that once you do this you will not need to top up.

Welcome aboard!!

I agree with julie - there have been several times that i have been short and after backsweeten and adding in my finings that was enough to cover my head space.

I must thank you for this as, it happens with me every time but luckily at the end of the day I got the best results. it happens due to the dedication and the steps that I follow.

This is what I require to keep in mind while being in wine making.

Is there anything wrong with topping off with tap water besides it getting a little watered down, and does it have to be boiled or not? Also, when people say "back sweetened" I assume they mean sugaring up the wine after fermation has stopped if they want it sweeter? If that's the case is there anything wrong with using boiled water that has had sugar added to it? Do I also understand it right that most people like to sweeten the wine with whatever type of juice they are making? Meaning, if it's grape wine then they'll use grape juice, or if it's peach then peach juice? Should that also be boiled or not? Also, anything wrong with just adding boiled sugar water if you are now in the secondary but fermentation has slowed down so much that it looks like it's stopped? We did with our pear wine and fermentation started back up again for a few days before all that sugar was consumed. The wine is now dry with no hint of sugar, so we added sorbate and a campden tablet along with a few cups of sugar (5 gallon carboy) to sweeten the wine up. This was like 5 or 6 weeks out.

You may top off with water as long as your water is good and you have enough sulfite in the wine but you are watering down your wine.

Back sweetening is indeed adding sugar that is inverted, warmed water and disolved sugar for at least 7 minutes. Not boiled.

Using a 100% juice can be added but it's even better if it is simmered down to 1/2 volume.

Latest posts

Back