Topping Off Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDWines

Junior
Reaction score
I just transfered my wine today, carboy to carboy to clear the wine. The instruction say to top off within 2" from the top. It recommends not to use water and I only have expensive wine in my cellar. Can I use grape juice?

In case you might say Hey just go to the store and get a bottle. I live in a dry county so I would need to drive 20 miles. Oh and we are under an ice storm.
smiley19.gif
Help!!!!

You can use marbles if you have any. Just make sure they are not the painted ones from China and sanitize them first.

It won't hurt it to wait until you can either get some similar wine or some good marbles but for goodness sake don't add grape juice! My sincere condolences or your lack of nearby wine!
smiley19.gif

I knew I should have saved my marbles from when I was a kid. I'll try and make the trek tomorrow. We don't often get snow in the south but we have both snow and ice today.

That wine will still be outgassing so it won't hurt being a bit short for a few days. 20 miles to get wine isn't bad. Go there when the weather improves and buy a few inexpensive bottles for such topping needs.

Carlos Rossi in 1 gallon jugs.... Use less than 2 bottles worth and it won't affect the taste and the jugs are great to reuse.

Well I got a jug of Carlos and it took every bit of it to top off. I'm getting to wonder if I was short on the water. I lost a lot when transferring. Lot of sludge in the bottom.

Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back