WineXpert Top 5 Early Drinkers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manitobawineo

Reaction score
Wondering what people's favourite early drinkers are. Could we do a top 5 like the one of any kits in earlier posts? I'd love to get everyone's input. I've heard that the Cheeky Monkeys and Vintners Reserve are good...

Of the WineXpert red kits I've made, the best early drinker has been the Luna Rossa. I actually liked the Italian Brunello skins kit rather soon after bottling, too (around six months). I'm having to force myself to let that one lie...

Thanks for your early replies! I am looking for red and white, but mostly red. Thanks!

Just started making wine this past January. My wife and I are drinking and enjoying our Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio wines both made from RJS VDV kits.

My 2 favorite early drinkers are Pinot Noir and Johannisberg Riesling:rn

I have only made a few white kits, but my understanding is that while some whites might definitely improve with some aging, most are pretty good soon after bottling. I would be interested to hear comments from more experienced winemakers of whites that actually NEED aging to get full expression of a wine's potential.

My two favorite early drinkers so far have been the WE Green Apple Riesling and the RJS CranApple Chardonnay. I've tweaked these by adding 4 lbs of sugar before fermenting to increase the ABV. And I'm thinking I may add half of the f-pack before fermenting next time to reduce the sweetness a bit.

Also, I've had the WE California Trinity Red in bottle for three months now and am finding it quite drinkable at this point.

i have only made one whine kit, a white zin...i did not care for it, but since i made if for my sister, I will not be drinking it.
I have started making two batches of every wine..
I make 3 gallon and fast track it, and I make a 6 gallon that I age.
For me dragon blood, and blackberry from fruit and mango, are the best early.
Peach,strawberry,blackberry from juice needs aged.

We had enjoyable results at 6 months with WE Australian Chardonnay. So much so we've started another batch.

If you're looking for quick, don't forget about Skeeter Pee and Dragon's Blood. Fun to make, fun to drink and got me away from kit instruction sheets.

My two favorite early drinkers so far have been the WE Green Apple Riesling and the RJS CranApple Chardonnay. I've tweaked these by adding 4 lbs of sugar before fermenting to increase the ABV.

That is exactly how I make the WE Green Apple Riesling for my wife (one of her favorates). +4 cups sugar in the primary.

Great minds think alike! :br

The WE Green Apple Riesling is a good early drinker - right after bottling. I made an Italian Pinot Grigio (WE International) and it was good at 6 months and fabulous at 12. Of course, by the time 12 mohths rolled around I only had 3 bottles left1

2 votes for skeeter pee. It's almost a waste of time to bottle. I'm tempted to stick a racking cane into the bung instead of an airlock and let them drink straight out the tube.

My wine expert eclipse Sauvignon Blanc is very, very good at just over six months. Dragon Blood drinks well at 4-6 weeks.

For red wines, I have consistently found the MM Vinifera Noble kits to be quite good early (like 2-4 months after bottling). I usually bulk age at least 4-6 months, so you could be drinking it as soon 6 months from fermenting. They usually get better after another 6 months to a year in the bottle, too. I think my favorite is the Castel del Papa.

I have been an advocate of the Paklab CR kits for red early drinkers. I can't say any one is much better than the other. The Nero d'avola seems really nice at 2 mo in the bottle. The red zin is nice as well. All the Paklab kits benefit from some tweaking, as you will read over and over in the forum. Still, the RJS WS Super Tuscan drinks kind of early and kicks the rest around the playground.

Personally, while reds definitely improve over time, the CC Showcase Shiraz and Barbera are pleasing young, as is the WE Petit Verdot.

Latest posts

Back