Top 10 reasons to make your own wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started because at first shot, hey its easy to make alcohol. Like a kid with crayons, the picture could be drawn but not the best looking.
<DIV id=ms__id55>
<DIV id=ms__id56> Now Its more like , Lets see if I can stay with in the lines and make the picture , more clear, more pleasant and more memorable. Wine making is an age old art as much as it is a age old tradition. By far wine brewing isthe most rewarding hobby out there. It is amazing how many intresting things there are out there that have to do with wine. I am glad I took it back up
smiley20.gif

<DIV id=ms__id57>

It isa learning experience .If I am not actually making wine, I am reading, thinking, planning,anticipating my next batch.

And it is wine that I made. To drink, share and enjoy!

Wine hasthe wonderful quality of attenuating theshrill voices eminating from the other side of myclosed wine room door. :)

Because I love the process, the support and advice from people on this Forum.
Because creating your own labels is a challenge.
Giving friends a bottle of your wine and have them critique it for you.
I enjoy it because it is satisfying to drink a wine you made yourself.
smiley4.gif

I'm sure that the idea of cutting wine expenses had some bearing on my decision to start making my own, but in reality, I have discovered not only a most rewarding hobby, but a new world. I have been making wines, and definitely enjoying them, that I had never even heard of 6 years ago! Fulfilling the desire to discover new wines, methodology, and experiences is more than an adequate reason.
smiley4.gif

One early spring morning, my Bride and I arose early. We dressed quickly, jumped in our rented red convertible, and made our way to the heart of the valley. The parking lot was filled with soon-to-be inflated balloons, one with our name on it. We climbed into the basket, slowly ascending into the light morning air. It was peaceful, we felt as if we were the sun rising to greet the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Napa</st1:placeName> <st1:place>Valley</st1:place></st1:place> wine producers. Landing in a small community park, the neighbors rushed out to lend a hand furling the balloon, loading the basket, and putting our morning adventure to memory.
The journey began for me that spring morning. Looking down upon the rows and rows of perfectly primped grape vines, I couldn’t help but wonder about the process of making a simple fruit into a delicate drink. How does a fruit go from plant to my wine glass, and more importantly, why doesn’t it taste like grape juice? I was inspired, I was a beer drinking convert engulfed in a quest, I would not rest until I tasted every wine in <st1:City><st1:place>Napa</st1:place></st1:City> and determined what made it special! Well, needless to say, I failed at tasting every wine in <st1:City><st1:place>Napa</st1:place></st1:City>. But I did learn one important thing, every wine is different, and every wine drinker has a unique taste. Okay, you caught me, that is two things I learned. Sorry, I’m a slow learner and it is just now catching up with me.
I started studying wine, eventually developing affection for <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State> reds. I found the Stags Leap district offered the most complex, and in my opinion, most appealing reds. I was in the throws of becoming consumed by newly acquired taste in this delectable refreshment.
With no experience in what makes a good grape into a great wine, I decided to just tour several wineries and vintners in the Valley. We stumbled onto Nickel &amp; Nickel through a recommendation by the cutest two honeymooners you ever saw, who happened to be staying at our <st1:place>Inn</st1:place>. Upon arrival, we decided on the private tour. A young man with dark hair, cowboy boots, jeans, t-shirt, (I’m not sure but I think he might have been chewing tobacco), you know the type I’m talking about, not only gave us a tour of the vineyard, but also taught us to taste wine. I was completely taken by the work, artistry, and chemistry involved in making the wine. He left me wanting to learn more.
Now, not so terribly long ago, I stumbled on this forum. I think I was researching wine for my annual nine-course tasting dinner I prepare for my Bride and a dozen or so of my (her) girlfriends. I was immediately drawn into the art of bringing your individual and specific tastes into a six gallon plastic bucket, putting in your own effort, artistry, and chemistry together to produce a beverage that represents the very soul of who you are. Yes, I’ll admit it, it was love at first sight. Since then, I have made what appears to be some pretty bad fruit wine. Gaining courage to move on to one of the better kits.
So, to answer the question, the reason I make wine is not so much to explore my creativity, or to make great wine at a reasonable price (hey, I’ll admit that commercial great wine is way overpriced), but to learn what goes into a bucket of fermenting grapes that make it into something I enjoy. I want to taste mallolactic(sp?) fermentation and comment, somewhat intelligently, that I understand what it is why it makes a chardonnay buttery. I want to taste and understand how body, abv, and a plethora of other factors affect my pallet. I don’t really give a hoot if Reginald the sommelier tells me a wine has a nice finish, I want to taste the wine and tell Reginald, “Yes it does have a nice finish, because….”

Skinnydipper ??? That was beautiful!
smiley19.gif
I can honestly say that you just wrote the most beautiful piece that I have ever read from a project manager.(I have read a ton) Are you sure that you are not a writer? I would have just said that it taste great and it is less billing. You do write very nicely.
smiley20.gif

I live in the bibble belt and it is cool when people come over and think that I am some kind of moonshine boot legger. They ask, " Aren't you afraid that someone will call the cops on you?"

Thanks Rocky Top! I am a recreational writer, I have been published once, but aspire to write more. VERY unusual for a PM. What's your experience with PMs?

It shows that you are a writer. nice work. I would like to read more.

I am an elevator adjuster. ( the man that programs and sets up an elevator to run for the first time.)I am sent to adjust problem jobs. The PM is almost always involved.

I'm a new winemaker. I got into it because it seemed interesting, and I needed a new hobby.

But I quickly found that I like my own wine better than anything I've ever bought. Because I can tailor it to my preferred alcohol level and sweetness.

And I have a goal to one day win a blue ribbon in my county fair wine competition...

I do it because the wines we enjoy most are not commercially available and, besides, when they are, mine are better!

I do it because most of the time I can make a way better wine then is available to me at a decent price or just because my wine is way better period!!!!!!!!

At first i liked the challenge ,then I discovered it was a art form now it's a part of me,and at 2 to 4 dollars a bottle a buy............

I got interested in winemaking after helping pick grapes at a local winery. Now I am having loads of fun with it. After attending Winestock and getting to meet lots of folks with similar interest,I am really excited about it. Also, the costs compared to store bought wine is a plus too!

I do it because I enjoy the challenge and the surprise when the finished product arrives! I love the dissapointment of the taste at the beginning and the surprise at the taste at 6 months and a year!! I love the challenge of making wine from harvested fruit and the pride when the wine tastes good!

Latest posts

Back