Top 10 reasons to make your own wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I am compiling a list of the top 10 reasons to make your own wine and I would like to know why each of you make your own wine.

I will take the first and most obvious reason, to save money. At least that is what got me started in the hobby. It is not what kept me in the hobby, but that is the genesis of The Winemaker's Toy Store.

Because no one I know dose it and I like to do things first and be able to give away something everyone would like or want.
smiley8.gif

I want expierience as many different things as possible while alive, wine making is another piece in the puzzel.

I do it for the challenge of making it on my own and am always trying to improve the final product.

Originaly I started just to see if I could do it. Then I figured out this is fun. I really like the fact that no two batches are the same, and it is always keeping me on my toes. I really hate getting in a rut.

Chris

I do it for my health. You can't ignore the studies on the health benefits of moderate wine consumption. My colesterol is a little high and I want to get it down without drugs. Also, lifting fullbuckets and carboys is good exercise!
smiley2.gif

Because seeing your friends' faces light up and then hearing them say "Wow! You really made this?" is such a reward.

I do it because I love wine and want to make my own, then I know what is in it.

I enjoy the process of learning how to do or make something. Learning to do well those things you really enjoy gives great joy to life.

These are GREAT!
smiley36.gif

Keep it up and I may have to have the top 20 reasons for making your own wine.

1. Just the idea of creating something that everyone marvels at. Where there iswine, the atmosphere is alway upbeat, you forget your problems and enjoy the wine and each other.

2. Following in my Dad's footsteps.

3. It's part of nature.

4. It makes keeps your mind busy and there is always something to look forward to.

Ramona
2005-05-07_154818_ramona_at_atoka_lake.jpg

Happy Mother's Day Ramona! Lookin' good. Hey, is that one of those new Max Cold Igloo coolers?

smiley31.gif

Okay! I'll be the first to admit it,

I started making wine to make alcohol
2005-05-09_140810_friday.gif

And then while researching berries and fruit and what not I found out
that not only is Red wine good for you but in moderation any alcohol
is.

Then there are the findings on berries, a lot of them prevent cancer and some even kill cancer cells.

I wish I were a chemist because I feel pretty sure the BIG cancer
cure will be a wine. It wont be your average wine though. I have a
feeling it will take different steps to make it. Steeping,extracting,
steeping again, extracting then mixing and fermanting.

Hey the answear is already there given by God in nature we just have to
find it and make it stronger to counter the poisons of civilization.

And God said the juice was good, and the host of heaven found it good and wholesome and verily quite tasty

2005-05-09_143712_dancer.gif

Doing a happy dance
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Goslin

Not all hobbies are consumable....and this one is! I also like the challenge. I have tasted many retail wines and especially the ones here in the islands. I challenged myself to improve what I thought was not quite good and the more I got into it, the more I wanted to go forward with a better product.

Then maybe someday someone will remember me for my homemade wine...and not my lack of "house maintenance!"
smiley36.gif

I see Bert hasn't posted his reasons for making wine. I'll help him out here.

1. My wife made me start because she said it's fun.
smiley23.gif

2. My wife no longer has any influence over me at all when it comes to making wine. Now I make wine because I'm a man obsessed and can not stop.
smiley16.gif

I started making wine in college because it was cheap and because I could do it. Now, I make wine because its magic. I can take a tasty, though plain fruit juice and turn it into an evening of enjoyment with family and friends. I know that I am not the magician, but I am the director. When I hear, “Wow, you made this”, I can see they are awed by the magic, and I will admit to you that I share no credit with the yeast.

I did it to honor my Grammy, who also made wine out of everything edible. (She was good at it though!)

When I moved into my house, I wanted to do something fun in the fall/winter/spring with the things that were in my garden.

I want to make wine for the sheer satisfaction of making
it. (Threw my first yeast tonight. I think that it was one for the
memoirs)
smiley4.gif
<!--[if gte vml 1]>

</v:ulas>

<o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/>
</v:shape>

</v:shape><![endif]-->
clip_image001.gif

I make wine because I can remember helping my
Grandfather make wine before I even started
school.Every year he made wine from his row of
concord grapes. Made it the old fashioned way didn't
add anything just crush and ferment. He did add
some sugar. Most years it turned out great.
smiley17.gif

Back